LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What did I do wrong? - Clutch Problems - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLT1SS
It shouldn't be hard at all to push on. I would pull the trans back a little and take a look at it. I don't know which throw out bearing Ram supplies with their pressure plates. If its the LT4, it has to be clocked in the right position, or the fork won't engage. I would do as earlier suggested, and pull the trans back, and remove the fork off the T stud. Take the fork and slide it over the TO bearing simulating what you are doing with the trans in. This way you can see what's binding. I just went through this a few days ago with my install. If I didn't do this, I could have forced the clutch fork in for the rest of my life and it wouldn't have gone one. Once I pulled it back and checked things out, it all went back together smoothly, fork and all.

Nick
I was trying so hard to avoid pulling the transmission back off - It was the only part that went on right the first time without having to take off for some reason or another.

But I got to do what I got to do, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So which kind of throwout did your new clutch kit come with - the stock kind that has the round lip or the Corvette kind that has a square lip? Like posted above, if it was the kind with a square lip, you have to have it rotated right so that the fork can grab onto it. However I'm pretty sure the only clutches that come with the Corvette throwouts are the Specs and McLeods, but I'm not 100% sure.

The pic you posted of the fork looks about right to me. On my car, when the fork is on the throwout properly, the dimple for the slave rod is lined up between the studs, and the clutch fork sticks out a quarter inch or so from the bellhousing - and you can't push it in any further by hand (the pressure plate fingers are too stiff for that), but you should be able to pull it "out" a little.

The problem you are describing sounds exactly like what my pedal did when the throwout bearing broke, but of course that's unlikely since you just put a brand new one in.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Purple95Z28
So which kind of throwout did your new clutch kit come with - the stock kind that has the round lip or the Corvette kind that has a square lip? Like posted above, if it was the kind with a square lip, you have to have it rotated right so that the fork can grab onto it. However I'm pretty sure the only clutches that come with the Corvette throwouts are the Specs and McLeods, but I'm not 100% sure.

The pic you posted of the fork looks about right to me. On my car, when the fork is on the throwout properly, the dimple for the slave rod is lined up between the studs, and the clutch fork sticks out a quarter inch or so from the bellhousing - and you can't push it in any further by hand (the pressure plate fingers are too stiff for that), but you should be able to pull it "out" a little.

The problem you are describing sounds exactly like what my pedal did when the throwout bearing broke, but of course that's unlikely since you just put a brand new one in.
I didn't check the throwout bearing before putting it in, so I'm not sure which style it is.

I'm just worried the fork isn't in the right spot because I can push it into it's current spot very easily. I've heard the first part is easy, then you have to go a little farther - which is the hard part.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It should be really light effort and quick and easy to get it on right. I'm going to guess that you have the square style throwout oriented wrong or something. Too bad you don't live closer, it'd be easy to figure out once you've done a clutch job before.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:23 AM
TECH Resident

I just delt with this awhile back took about 6times to get it right first two time I bent the slave rod. then next it would have pedel but wasn't disengauging all the ay so I took it back out and finally just went right in place you'll get it adventually

Quick Reply: What did I do wrong? - Clutch Problems - HELP