LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

vented opti question/rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vented opti question/rough idle

ever since installing my vented opti...i have left the vacuum line unhooked. being that the vacuum port that the opti usually plugs into was being used on my EGR solenoid. recently i replaced my intake gasket seal and since i put on headers, i havnt had the EGR hooked up...i capped off the egr solenoids, egr valve, and the port on the manifold that used to go to the egr solenoid...i got my opti a little wet when i did the intake swap but being that it is vented and the fact that it was 104 degrees that day..i didnt think it would be a problem...now the car idles rough but smoothes out after 1000 or so rpm

i have two questions.....a) should the opti vacuum line be plugged into the vacuum port on the manifold that the EGR solenoid was originally hooked to (middle of driver side of intake)?...what does this vacuum do for the opti?

second question is....what could be causing this rough idel? it acts like a vacuum leak, but i cant find anywhere unless i have a manifold bolt causing a leak...
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Take starting fluid and lightly spray it around the intake and see if it idles up then you'll know if you have a leak the vacuum line to the opti is to keep moisture out of It
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blk99ek
Take starting fluid and lightly spray it around the intake and see if it idles up then you'll know if you have a leak the vacuum line to the opti is to keep moisture out of It
ah...good idea..thanks...i'll try that...i'll also try to get the opti vacuum line hooked up...i havnt had it hooked up this whole time and have had any problems....if i hook up the vacuum line is it going to dry up any moisture that could be in there? or is that long gone? (been 2 days of 100+ degree temps and a 60 mi round trip commute since i got water on the opti)

i also thought about dumping some seafoam in the tank ...just for good measure on the injectors
Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your vacuum line should have a one-way valve in it to prevent any moisture getting into the opti. It will allow the vacuum to suck moisture out, but not let any air in.
If not, go down to your local auto parts and get one, they are inexpensive.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

The opti vacuum line needs to be hooked up to the intake elbow.
I would check and see if your EGR valve is working correctly .
Push in the diaphragm and hold your finger over the nipple were the vacuum line goes. if it release and takes in air while you have your finger on the nipple it bad.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthony0908
The opti vacuum line needs to be hooked up to the intake elbow.
Please explain why the intake manifold is not suitable.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Please explain why the intake manifold is not suitable.
I dunno I guess it is but mines on my elbow. School me is there a reason why it better on the intake manifold?

Quick Reply: vented opti question/rough idle