LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Arizona Speed Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arizona Speed Headers

Does anybody on here run these headers? I was just wondering how they fit? Plug wire clearence...etc.

And before anybody starts bashing about just get long tubes, I have a friend that may just give them to me.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothin beats free headers, long or short.....I haven't heard anything bad from owners
Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the RK sports which were nearly identical.
They have minor firment issues like every other header. The driver side #1 primary comes very close to the steering shaft. The problem of it hitting is hit and miss.

Spark plug access is the worst I have ever seen. It is impossible to change the front passenger side one without pulling the header.

Bolt access on the passenger side is a MF due to the dipstick on the #6 primary.

Top end power is close to LT's, but they dont make good low and mid range power compared to LT's. When I took the mids off and put the LT's on, it was like a had 2 more cylinders down low and in the mid range.

This graph shows the difference between mid-tubes and LT's:

Knowing what I know now, I would not use mid-tubes, even if they are free, unless I had a lowered car and LT's were out of the question. Or if emmisions are a big concern.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Had them and loved them for over 5 years. I never had a problem changing plugs on the car, but I have small hands. Now I have LTs and do not see a difference in changing the plugs. Power wise, LTs are slightly better, but nothing to brag about. Don't remember the exact numbers but similar to the graph above, just not as extreme.

Free is free, I would take them.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Lets put it this way, if you don't take them, Have him send em to me I'll pay shipping
Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=wrd1972;11818232]I had the RK sports which were nearly identical.
They have minor firment issues like every other header. The driver side #1 primary comes very close to the steering shaft. The problem of it hitting is hit and miss.

Spark plug access is the worst I have ever seen. It is impossible to change the front passenger side one without pulling the header.

Bolt access on the passenger side is a MF due to the dipstick on the #6 primary.

Top end power is close to LT's, but they dont make good low and mid range power compared to LT's. When I took the mids off and put the LT's on, it was like a had 2 more cylinders down low and in the mid range.

This graph shows the difference between mid-tubes and LT's:

Knowing what I know now, I would not use mid-tubes, even if they are free, unless I had a lowered car and LT's were out of the question. Or if emmisions are a big concern.[/QUOT

Great response. Truth is in the numbers. You now have LPP long tubes?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Each has their shortcomings...SP Wire clearance can be fixed by OTVC SP Wires, but it will still be a MF to change plugs either way you go. Shorties and Mids help you retain ground clearance, LT's you lose almost 2 inches of GC...mids dont produce as much low end power as the LT, but its not a HUGE difference. You also don't have to worry about the headers banging on the floorboard if you get mids...LT's you do. Most headers will hit the steering column which is slightly annoying, but eventually you get used to it, and its no big deal...you can play with the SC a little bit too to try and alleviate that some.

If you are getting them free, take them.....worse comes to worse if you dont like them you can always sell them, make some bank, and buy something more to your liking...never turn down free shtuff lmao.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mbowtie71
Great response. Truth is in the numbers. You now have LPP long tubes?
Yep LPP's.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
mids dont produce as much low end power as the LT, but its not a HUGE difference.
Your experience may be different than mine. The difference was great big, huge down low as seen in the graph. Mids did not pull hard till 3.5K. The LTs were more like 2.5K.

~30# of less torque with the mids is a HUGE difference.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

that's because of the shorter primary length....Technically the shorter primaries work better with more RPM. So if you want to spin to 10K RPM go with a short tube header, if you want it to pull down low go with LT's.....if you're stuck in the middle...go with mids. LT's do work better with street cars and with drag cars because a lot of time is spent under the peak power point of the engine (under the curve).
Old 06-26-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by duh
that's because of the shorter primary length....Technically the shorter primaries work better with more RPM. So if you want to spin to 10K RPM go with a short tube header, if you want it to pull down low go with LT's.....if you're stuck in the middle...go with mids. LT's do work better with street cars and with drag cars because a lot of time is spent under the peak power point of the engine (under the curve).

Quick Reply: Arizona Speed Headers