LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

wtf! cant get header back on

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wtf! cant get header back on

I can't believe this! I can't get my passenger side header bolted up for the life of me. this is my 3rd time swapping gaskets and its never been this hard. I've struggled with it for hours and im about to give up and have it towed to a shop lol! does any body have any tips or tricks that might help me? I've tried putting allen wrenches in all the bolt holes to line everything up, tried with it loosely bolted up to the y and with it totally disconnected.. I've tried starting @ every dif hole.. and can't get anywhere. I feel like a tard but my buddy had no luck either. any ideas?
Old 06-27-2009, 06:17 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bolts not lining up with the new gasket?
What gasket are you using?
Old 06-27-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

percy's, I get everything lined up by sticking allen wrenches in the holes, the percy's are a bit of a PITA tho cause they can make it feel like the bolt has started to thread but it will just be catching the gasket.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

good news and bad news.. I've gotten 3 bolts in, thought I had 4 but after3 turns I realized it was going in cross threaded..SOB! Im out of patience and to sore to keep tryin anyways. its gonna be a bitch to keep that 1 bolt from going in wrong now, I'll save it for last but..things like this turn my relationship w/ my car into a love/hate thing for sure.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

patients
Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

patience.

I had the same thing happen to me. I just kept working it a little. Are you using a jack to hold it up for you? Do that so you can slightly adjust the height and angle, and don't tighten up all the bolts. Just several turns in. Then keep working the angle and height, till the bolt screws freely.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Patience.

Take your time with each bolt dont force it. Start them all by finger, might want to open up the bolt hole on the gasket to make it easier to start the bolts.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

well F it! its gonna get towed to a shop for a damn exhaust gasket. seriously it took less time to install the headers, im going on 9hrs now and I'm only 50% done. the percy's look like they'll last forever but they suck, bolts keep catching it and feeling like their actually going in..nope. I would have more paitence but I get too sore and cramped working in that engine bay..still limping from it, if I kept at it I think I'd end up putting it up for sale..or throwin a wrench thru the windshield
Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Why dont you use the same type of gasket you had before if that was easier going in. Towing to a shop will cost you more than another set of gaskets.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1
Why dont you use the same type of gasket you had before if that was easier going in. Towing to a shop will cost you more than another set of gaskets.
well I've got more money than time right now and I want to be driving my car now! especially because my DD is about to **** the bed. I rarely get days off this time of year and want to spend my time driving it plus I need to recooperate on my time off and I didnt get to these last couple of days off, my back is killing me from working on the damn thing which would be alright if I was driving it right now atleast the tow is free thru AAA.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:09 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
well I've got more money than time right now and I want to be driving my car now! especially because my DD is about to **** the bed. I rarely get days off this time of year and want to spend my time driving it plus I need to recooperate on my time off and I didnt get to these last couple of days off, my back is killing me from working on the damn thing which would be alright if I was driving it right now atleast the tow is free thru AAA.
Yeah, i understand. I guess in your circumstance i dont blame you taking it in.

Quick Reply: wtf! cant get header back on