LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

VATS bypassed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS bypassed

I had an intermittent problem with the VATS on my 96 WS6. I bypassed it because I was tired of getting stuck at random places in town. I learned a bit about electronics:
1. like better places to by resisters in town,
2. how to solder, (its like welding for at a retirement home, kinda fun)
3. to combine resisters (adding up the ohms) you have to put them in series, and if you put them in parallel it will actually become half of the lowest resistor. It took me a few hours to figure that out.

The only thing is now the car starts every time (yea!) but the security light stays on at all times (boo!) I thought I read someplace that happens when you do the resistor bypass but I can't find that again. anyone else have this? I might just take out that bulb, i hate stuff lit on the dash.

Last edited by Steel185; 06-27-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: easier to understand
Old 06-28-2009, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya my coolant level sensor is always on even though the resivour is at the full mark. That like really bothers me
Old 06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rufrntn
I hear ya my coolant level sensor is always on even though the resivour is at the full mark. That like really bothers me
If you unplug the coolant level sensor the light goes away. Its risky to do though because if you go low on coolant no warning light and you will over heat blow head gasket.

Right way to fix the problem is replace the coolant level sensor.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel185
I had an intermittent problem with the VATS on my 96 WS6. I bypassed it because I was tired of getting stuck at random places in town. I learned a bit about electronics:
1. like better places to by resisters in town,
2. how to solder, (its like welding for at a retirement home, kinda fun)
3. to combine resisters (adding up the ohms) you have to put them in series, and if you put them in parallel it will actually become half of the lowest resistor. It took me a few hours to figure that out.

The only thing is now the car starts every time (yea!) but the security light stays on at all times (boo!) I thought I read someplace that happens when you do the resistor bypass but I can't find that again. anyone else have this? I might just take out that bulb, i hate stuff lit on the dash.
You may not have bypassed it correctly and may actually be in "fault enable mode". The light should be out if the resistance was really the issue. Or there could be something wrong with the VATS, itself, causing the light to be on.

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Old 06-28-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about bypassing it myself like this, when my VATS system took a **** on me, at the track. But, me and electrical stuff aren't really the best combo. So, I just ordered the plug-n-play bypass off eBay for like $18.