LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Which is the better option?
Hooker Street Force
37.50%
Edelbrock TES
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

OBDII CARB Leagal Headers

Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII CARB Leagal Headers

OK so CA sucks but I can't get a smog here so I have to go back to smog legal. It is not worth the hassle of chasing down shady smog shops and leaving my car sitting for 6 months every two years because my tags are expired. So I am torn between the Hooker Super Comp Street Force and the Edelbrock TES both ceramic coated. The edelbrocks are made of 409 stainless but I saw one set of their headers which required you to install a heat shield on the wiper cowl and I don't necessarily want to do that. Any info would be appreciated please don't say long tubes, I have long tubes on it now and I KNOW.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like the EDEL. LT's I have...coated.....hooker is fine also--get the best price..[hooker is in Mexico now--I think]..Edelbrock is USA.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
OK so CA sucks but I can't get a smog here so I have to go back to smog legal. It is not worth the hassle of chasing down shady smog shops and leaving my car sitting for 6 months every two years because my tags are expired. So I am torn between the Hooker Super Comp Street Force and the Edelbrock TES both ceramic coated. The edelbrocks are made of 409 stainless but I saw one set of their headers which required you to install a heat shield on the wiper cowl and I don't necessarily want to do that. Any info would be appreciated please don't say long tubes, I have long tubes on it now and I KNOW.
I've know several people with the Edelbrock Stainless Steel shorties. Install wasn't too bad, didn't need any special heat sheild you are referring to.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have some of the coated edelbrocks just sitting in my garage if you want them I'll let'em go for cheap.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have them, and i love them
Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
i have them, and i love them
Have you ever had LT's?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now Now this is not a pissing contest between long tubes or shorties, not everyone can have a buddy with a smog shop ^^^ I wish I did, then I wouldn't have to spend all of this money twice and then have to go get it tuned again
Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now Now this is not a pissing contest between long tubes or shorties, not everyone can have a buddy with a smog shop ^^^ I wish I did, then I wouldn't have to spend all of this money twice and then have to go get it tuned again
Understandable. Just wanted to point out the difference between "having no other option and settling for the smaller benefits of shorties when compared to LT's" and "I have shorties and I love them". I was just curious if he had any comparison to base his opinion on that's all. Nothing personal either to him.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Have you ever had LT's?
no, not yet. i do know LTs are better but i love what they do for sound. they were free with the engine, thats why i have them. they did ruin my Rumbler catback, it sounded like a truck. the LM1 resonator fixed that
i would never say they are better than LTs, but for someone who needs to stay legal they are very good. find a used set for cheap and you are good to go
Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
, it sounded like a truck.
that is what I am afraid of...I had BBK shorties once with a magnaflow and it sounded like sh*t then I put the long tubes on with the magnaflow and it sounds great, I am going to be mad if the magnaflow sounds like sh*t with the edelbrocks.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

that is what I am afraid of...I had BBK shorties once with a magnaflow and it sounded like sh*t then I put the long tubes on with the magnaflow and it sounds great, I am going to be mad if the magnaflow sounds like sh*t with the edelbrocks.
worst case you will have to do a muffler swap. i got lucky and traded my bullet for the LM1 resonator with some local guy. heres what it sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYp4_kkER8Q
Old 06-30-2009, 07:55 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had nothing but good experience with edelbrock shorties...and if and when you're ready to get rid of the LT's let me know....I'm lucky enough not to have to deal with smog/emissions
Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

To the OP's ?

I have had the Edelbrocks on my 350 and now 383 for 10 years Jet Hot coated. CARB SoCal Smog is why. Yes LT's are better from a performance stand point but that is not the ? here.

My car is a B-body and the DS header does have a "heat" shield welded to it to mask the brake booster from heat. Not sure if the F-body is the same. I did have to have a muffler shop weld a elbow which was included with the headers to the front of my stock CAT. No big deal and I have the "stock" elbow if for some reason I wanted to return to the stock manifolds and CATS...which I won't do.

I had DynoMax mufflers and now Spintech Sportsman XL's. With either motor or muffler the "sound" is enough to let you know something is there but I have never built the car for a "sound". I let the time slips do the talking.

heads/cam/T-56/383 B-body OBD2 tune....passes smog at "Test Only" with flying colors...Ed Wright tune is the key reason and having good CATS & O2's. I changed CATS at 100k miles to the magnaFlo OBD2 CARB ones (not cheap but legal in Calif)
Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To throw another option out there how about SLP. While they were in production this was arguably the best shorty for the b-bodies, I assume they would have been very good for the f-bodies as well.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
To throw another option out there how about SLP. While they were in production this was arguably the best shorty for the b-bodies, I assume they would have been very good for the f-bodies as well.
They have the worse bolt access I have ever seen for a shorty header. I would never run them.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had considered them as an option but they are impossible to find and they use the stock 3 bolt flange. My y-pipe has already been molested from my previous BBK shorties<---epic fail but I would consider them if I could find them new somewhere.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Far as I know BBK and Edelbrock are the same. So maybe your decision is made then Hooker it is?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

BBK sucks and their header designs are completely different from Edelbrock as well as their available coatings from what I have researched. Edelbrocks are stainless and hopefully their welds are of better quality than BBK, but we will see. I am leaning towards the edelbrocks and if anyone is interested in my coated/wrapped pacesetter long tubes/ORY I will be posting them in the classifieds probably next week. I am not going to ruin a holiday weekend with a header swap
Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Teching In

well i havent had long tubes yet but i have the bbk shorties with true duals and i love them the difference in power was amazing, might be the true duals that helped tho.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

hookers are too pricey IMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBDII CARB Leagal Headers