LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Introducing our 408 LT1 short block

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I don't have enough time in the day to deal with people like you and it's not fair to my customers so I do what I can do.
Really... you have time to type multiple paragraph posts? What am I asking for? It's not like I'm asking for specs down to the thousandth or a documentary. Just simple dyno sheets and time slips. You really don't have time for that yet have time to make posts about "our" engine?
We work hand in hand to produce my engines. This is the way it works for 90% of the sponsors on this board who sell engines. Maybe you are unaware of this?
Your engines? I thought were were talking about "our" engines? Let's keep this simple. You want to introduce "our" engine yet refuse to back up this claim with any data. Just words. Yes I am completely aware of what you type. On this very board there is a sponsor who has claimed dreamy numbers yet after a customer(s) has/have received the engine it dynos and runs like a turd. Again, not saying "our" or "your" or "mine" or "whoever's" engine would be the same, but for information sake it would really be a neat idea to see performance data...
Old 07-01-2009, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by mdacton
I have never seen a Ltx head flow 325+

And I have seen the fastest na LTx heads

Not an actual real LT1 head no. On other 23 degree castings not so hard at all and many are offerent in LTx style now as well.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by racer7088
Not an actual real LT1 head no. On other 23 degree castings not so hard at all and many are offerent in LTx style now as well.
Hand ported AFRs, TFSs, and canfields can all hit 325cfm and are LTX castings.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:37 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

The engine in question was a private customer of a shop here in Houston with a Dynojet 248C that had an LT1 408 with nice 320 cfm TFS LTx heads and a solid roller in the mid 25Xs and 11 to 1 compression. It had a ported LT4 manifold and made that power through an auto to the wheels on pump gas with a 4000 stall converter.

The only reason most of the LTx stuff is so super lame is the incredibly lame heads. The 23 degree chevy was good in the 60s but it's just not that awsome. The LTx stuff is the best of the 23 degree OEM stuff but that's not saying much as compared to the LSx so as a result they are harder to make power with but they are still engines.

You put the newer much improved 23 degree stuff on them and they make way more power. You make them bigger and they make way more torque. Not hard to understand and no magic involved either just CFM and CID and good intakes and headers. I've built tons of these engines and they always run very well. Also depends on the heads if any Diamond piston will work or not.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it up......

I'm calling out your 408, ready to wax that ***..... come get some
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Village Troll

So I did a little research and found at least one dyno graph:

Sign me up11111
Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I mean I have to agree with the rest, Unless you are a well know shop/person to claim without at least Graphs is tough to swallow, Why would you not want to at least post a graph? Dont have to put the customers name and it would be great advertisement for you..
Old 07-01-2009, 11:11 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
I mean I have to agree with the rest, Unless you are a well know shop/person to claim without at least Graphs is tough to swallow, Why would you not want to at least post a graph? Dont have to put the customers name and it would be great advertisement for you..
I sell all of these that I make. I don't need anymore business MOE. Not being arrogant either but just have too many builds going already without selling even more of these LTx 408s. We have to do some custom crank work and use some different parts and we sell all we make already.

When we almost went 7s with Big Ricks LT1 car people really thought that was shocking nearly going 180 with an LT1 deal but it's just an engine and if Rick had stayed with it he would have gone 7s easy. It's still a SBC and a regular engine whether or not ot says "LTx" somewhere on it.

99BlancoSS is trying to sell some more through his business and we will build them but he's just talking the shortblock from what I saw in this thread. He included what one of our customers made with some really nice heads and a medium street solid roller and a ported LT4 manifold as it was one of the higher dynoing deals we did.

What you make is 100% dependent on the top end like Phil from AI said so no HP numbers can be quoted for a shortblock! It was just an example. The owner is a nice guy here in the Houston area and is not at all into forum stuff like this at all but the shop that tuned it and di the rest of the work may let me post that dyno up if they blank out his name.

It's good advertising for them and their shop since they did all work and tuning as well on it. The owner also has an Impy that went 10s on motor with 4 people in it at HRP if that tells you anything! About 500 people saw that I think back in the day.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Compression sounds a bit low but I totally believe it is possible. Would still would love to see a graph though .
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 PM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Has Eagle stepped up their quality for cranks? I thought that their cranks were viewed as, "not the best pieces"?
Eagle was the only manufacturer to make a 4.000 inch stroke 1 pc. RMS crank at all that wasn't over 1800.00 which we take and do some modifications on for our deal. Jeff at PSI bought the last two of these we could find in America so after this I will have to go back to a more expensive Callies custom crank again unless I can convince Brook to build me a few that he could sell to other guys.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 PM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Really... you have time to type multiple paragraph posts? What am I asking for? It's not like I'm asking for specs down to the thousandth or a documentary. Just simple dyno sheets and time slips. You really don't have time for that yet have time to make posts about "our" engine?

Your engines? I thought were were talking about "our" engines? Let's keep this simple. You want to introduce "our" engine yet refuse to back up this claim with any data. Just words. Yes I am completely aware of what you type. On this very board there is a sponsor who has claimed dreamy numbers yet after a customer(s) has/have received the engine it dynos and runs like a turd. Again, not saying "our" or "your" or "mine" or "whoever's" engine would be the same, but for information sake it would really be a neat idea to see performance data...
SS RRR,

Not trying to get on your case either but Chris was just talking about a 408 inch LTx shortblock that we DO build for him if he wants or sells one.

He again didn't say if you get this or any shortblock that you will make 520+ RWHP but just that one just did right here in Houston.

This 408 LT1 shortblock could just as easily make 650 RWHP with better heads and race gas and it could just as easily make 350 RWHP too.

People thought our 445 inch L92 block hydraulic roller numbers on pump gas were bogus and told me so until that customer went 9.3Xs at 144+ mph at 3200 pounds on motor in front of everyone at HRP and then silence was all that was heard.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Originally Posted by Puck
Compression sounds a bit low but I totally believe it is possible. Would still would love to see a graph though .
I'll try to get them to post it for 99BlancoSS's sake so people don't think he made it up. I can assure you he didn't but a lot of these shops hate working on anything LTx so even that shop may not want to but I think they will.

I never run compression much higher than 11 to 1 on almost any true pump gas engine. The worse your engine and VE is the higher your compression can be. It could have been a little higher than it was but he wanted no problems on any pump gas so it was just 11 to 1 like an LS1.

When I see a 12.5 to 1 engine that runs good on pump gas I know it has poor VE and/or a horrible manifold because anything that is running compression like that should and would detonate at that. Often you can't even run the right ignition advance with stuff like that where as these can run true timing at 11 to 1.

Couldn't even do that much compression for a few dyno pulls with the EMC stuff and on a real car in the heat it would be suicide. Also pump gas varies a lot from area to area and month to month not to mention some of the less scrupulous gas stations here in Texas.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:32 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sell all of these that I make. I don't need anymore business MOE. Not being arrogant either....
Sounds like your being arrogant, ERIK.

He included what one of our customers made with some really nice heads and a medium street solid roller and a ported LT4 manifold as it was one of the higher dynoing deals we did..
A 'street solid roller' and LT4 intake making 525rwph? Again, we are back on the streetcar issue. I would LOVE to see the graph or some info.

What you make is 100% dependent on the top end like Phil from AI said so no HP numbers can be quoted for a shortblock! It was just an example. .
Correct, so why is your partner shop preaching about HP numbers when it doesnt matter? 240hp or 600hp, it makes no difference right?

HKE makes killer engines, I don't doubt/deny that, congratulations on being successful Erik! But being a business owner and a car guy, you of all people should know that posting things like this without any backup information is going to get the **** thrown at you.

Last time I heard of a running 400+ci LT1 was in 2002.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Village Troll

People thought our 445 inch L92 block hydraulic roller numbers on pump gas were bogus and told me so until that customer went 9.3Xs at 144+ mph at 3200 pounds on motor in front of everyone at HRP and then silence was all that was heard.
That's fantastic. For the second or fourth time I am not saying it cannot be done nor can you build such an engine. All I am asking for is a couple pieces of paper that allegedly back up the potential of this 408 build. Not that difficult...
Old 07-02-2009, 01:30 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Speed Density,

It might sound like arrogance but I still like doing LT1 stuff unlike 95 percent of the people on this site that think they are too good to work on LT1 stuff anymore.

The LTx market is a very small niche and not as many people have money to spend in it and that's not a secret but I have still kept doing them only because I still like doing weird stuff like 408 inch LTxs.

I've almost only done bigger LTx stuff 383-414 CID as well so if the last time you heard of a 400 inch LTx was 2002 you probably aren't around as many LTx people as I am. I do LTx stuff for several shops but just don't advertise them myself.

Oh well time to hit the road. BTW just shipped off another of these 400+ inch LTxs to the New England area. I have a feeling it will make over 500 RWHP as well.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

That's fantastic. For the second or fourth time I am not saying it cannot be done nor can you build such an engine. All I am asking for is a couple pieces of paper that allegedly back up the potential of this 408 build. Not that difficult...
Nope I agree and think I can get at least one of the 500+ RWHP graphs up by tomorrow if that shop approves it. I have the dynojet software and viewers but haven't posted a pic in like 4 years! I may get one of you to post it if you have an image hosting site or tell me how and I will do it.

BTW do you have a solid roller deal? Is that what 395.3 SR means? What did it make?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Tough crowd.

Absolutely right, however to claim this and then brag about it being secret is just plain nonsense. If a vendor can build a 500rwhp LT1 then by all means show some sort of data to back up the claim.
I agree wholeheartedly. To the extent that all of our dyno graphs & track #'s are completely independent. The irony is that when you focus on substance (i.e. documented results, machining, tolerances, etc.), the naive and/or uncompetitive deride it as "marketing." Can't please everyone.

The man is selling a short-block. While there are definitely areas that highly experienced & skilled builders can conserve power, for the most part the top-end dictates how the engine will perform. If you have a known good builder, do what the man says, and buy the right components there is no reason you can't make 500+ with any displacement possible in an LT block. If these guys are selling an HKE short-block then you've every expectation that the only thing you need to worry about is your top-end.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that it is really sad that every time a company comes on here and tries to bring hard core stuff to the LTX community they get blasted. Keep it up and the aftermarket will walk away.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I find that it is really sad that every time a company comes on here and tries to bring hard core stuff to the LTX community they get blasted. Keep it up and the aftermarket will walk away.
Amen
Old 07-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Village Troll

Nope I agree and think I can get at least one of the 500+ RWHP graphs up by tomorrow if that shop approves it. I have the dynojet software and viewers but haven't posted a pic in like 4 years! I may get one of you to post it if you have an image hosting site or tell me how and I will do it.

BTW do you have a solid roller deal? Is that what 395.3 SR means? What did it make?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...highlight=lane
You can e-mail me the graph @ ssteal96@hotmail.com and I'd be happy to host it, but it'd also be nice to get a time slip as well.
Originally Posted by GIZMO
Over the last few years we've had our fair share of overly sensitive "rock stars" that have attempted to sell a product with absolutely no data who then make a huge deal out of a very simple request. If a vendor cannot supply data then I have no use for them and neither should anyone else. I have never bought an aftermarket component for any engine that hasn't had published results.

Quick Reply: Introducing our 408 LT1 short block