LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Steam Vent Tube Washers Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by tomcowle
No, you were trying to be a dick in your response and guess what, it worked. I offered my input and my experience on this topic and that was it. I never tried to belittle anyone or say they had to do it, we are all entitled to our own thoughts on this or any other topic.

Please re-read what I typed and show me where I gave advice for EVERYBODY to follow? Guess what, you won't find it.

Your ill attempt at grandstanding just fortifies the belief that this board is going downhill thanks to senseless arguments/statements like yours.
I can live with that. But you still need to deal with the facts.

And that reason it what? I've done this on several engines, never an issue. Fill your system, bleed the air, no problems.
Originally Posted by shbox
If you want to risk localized hot spots on the rear cylinders, then by all means remove the steam lines.
Think what you will...

You offered nothing but Fill your system, bleed the air, no problems. as seen above. You offered no creditable experience period as to why we should consider this advice above the direction of GM.

Others commented on the importance of the steam pipe in simpler terms than I did which by the way, perfectly echos what GM says.

You then insult others with the Think what you will.. because we believe what GM says and not your "experience" as seen above.

I said what I said for a reason as to drive the point home and leave no doubt or ambiguity as to what the real purpose of the steam pipe per the direction of the OE manufacturer is.

I don't want someone friggin up their motor based on what you provided, because its flat wrong.

If you had worded your statements differently as to point out that others could possibly encounter issues as a result of the deletion which deviates from the OEM cooling specification, it would have been a different story.

It was clear that you would not accept the truth behind the steam pipe in simpler terms. It is also clear that you wont accept it in more detailed terms.

Does the truth mean you have to embrace it or failure will result? No, but deleting coolant passages meant to prolong the life of your motor is a bit different than switching springs or cams. You are simply being aggressively challenged based on the facts.

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
I also laugh at your comment that this place is going downhill due to misinformation, due to the fact that you, yourself is one of the major contributors of such misinformation as you jsut posted in this thread.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also laugh at your comment that this place is going downhill due to misinformation, due to the fact that you, yourself is one of the major contributors of such misinformation as you jsut posted in this thread.
Once again, another person with reading comprehension skills, please re-read what I wrote, I NEVER SAID the board is going down due to mis-information DID I ?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Once again, another person with reading comprehension skills, please re-read what I wrote, I NEVER SAID the board is going down due to mis-information DID I ?

In essence, you really did.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1badzee
In essence, you really did.

No, I didn't. Whenever a person is placing words in your mouth and then aurguing the placed words in a chastizing manner that fighting for fights sake. BIG difference, I stated my experience, never once stated that the factory stuff doesn't work or its entirely not needed, NO insults were issued beyond what people choose to think or read into.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

No, I didn't. Whenever a person is placing words in your mouth and then aurguing the placed words in a chastizing manner that fighting for fights sake. BIG difference, I stated my experience, never once stated that the factory stuff doesn't work or its entirely not needed, NO insults were issued beyond what people choose to think or read into.

You should of just left it at that from the beginning.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

All the spin is making my head warp.
Thats what I get from pulling my steam pipe I guess.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
All the spin is making my head warp.
Thats what I get from pulling my steam pipe I guess.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

You can get them from napa for $1.00

I just got some yesterday.

And I would not dismiss any of Tom Coweles opinions.....you should ask him questions and how he makes things work. He has more racing experience and testing/dyno exp than most here.....
Old 07-02-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mdacton
And I would not dismiss any of Tom Coweles opinions.....you should ask him questions and how he makes things work. He has more racing experience and testing/dyno exp than most here.....
And all that experience means jack nor squat when someone says something as ASININE as "delete the tubes, I've done it and I have no problems", as THAT statement is fraught with stupidity and ignorance...

If he didn't describe any other sort of advanced way (such as extra bleeders in the crossover tube locations) of getting air out of the heads, YOU WILL have trapped air in the system AT THE HEADS. This is not a debatable point.

And, for the record, I could have sworn he made mention of this place going downhill due to misinformation. Then again he *DID* edit his post, so I have little doubt that part was deleted to cover his own ignorance.

I know plenty of 'knowledgeable' racers with good records and great results, but that doesn't mean that each and every one of them is DEAD WRONG on many subjects...

A lot of racers don't care about driving thier cars on the street, only about racing them... Big difference in final application.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Forgot to mention that there are many more racers that want to spread MIS-INFORMATION to keep them having an 'edge' on everyone else...

Now THAT is one of the biggest problems facing the forum here.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

Forgot to mention that there are many more racers that want to spread MIS-INFORMATION to keep them having an 'edge' on everyone else...

Now THAT is one of the biggest problems facing the forum here.
I do agree with that, and I now change my opinion b/c I see what tom is up to..... he is trying to get all you guys to overheat so he can make it down the track to win another round. Slick ******.....

I feel like such an idiot now
Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do agree with that, and I now change my opinion b/c I see what tom is up to..... he is trying to get all you guys to overheat so he can make it down the track to win another round. Slick ******.....
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

A few years back a similar controversey was going-on on another Forum regarding whether or not it's required to drill the steam vent holes in heads when used on the 400 block. At the time I was building a 415 L98 and I decided to call one of the NASCAR teams, Hendricks MotorSports, and talked to one of their engine guys.

His advice, "definitely" drill the holes if the engine ever sees less than 3000 RPMs. Guess what I did?

So my thinking follows along the same lines; they're there for a reason.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine from Advanced Auto Parts in the "Help" section never had a problem with them....
Old 07-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You can get them from napa for $1.00

I just got some yesterday.

Can you post the NAPA part number? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by M93Z
Can you post the NAPA part number? Thanks.

730-2922

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

And all that experience means jack nor squat when someone says something as ASININE as "delete the tubes, I've done it and I have no problems", as THAT statement is fraught with stupidity and ignorance...
That is not what was stated:
I got rid of all steam piping, never had an issue.
He is entitled to his own opinion from his own experiences. This is not the Gestapo. Use the information on any public site at your own risk.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS RRR
That is not what was stated:
That is EXACTLY what he stated. Reworded for clarity, but the EXACT same meaning, definition, purpose and intent.

And, it is still WRONG!

Thus, MY replies...
Old 07-04-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the **** fight over? Where is this steam pipe located? I checked SHBOX but didnt see it
Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

The metal tube that connects the rear of the two heads together. Guarantee you have it unless Tomcowl built your motor.

Quick Reply: LT1 Steam Vent Tube Washers Needed