LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power difference in running larger valves?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power difference in running larger valves?

I have a set of stock LT1 heads that have been ported, but the stock size valves remain. I didn`t build this motor, I picked it up from a friend. I have a set of SS undercut, swirl polished 2.00 intake and 1.57 exhaust valves. Would I benefit using the larger valves in the heads or just stick with the stockers? Is there enough gain there to offset the cost? I`m sure the heads will have to be worked more to accomodate the larger valves. Also, the bore size is standard on the block.

Money is getting tight and I`m wanting to get my 67 camaro build done. This motor is going in the car, so I need to start cutting costs where ever I can. At this point, HP isn`t my goal. Finishing is the goal and I`ll worry about the rest later. I may just sell these valves if the gains aren`t cost effective.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gains will be minimal. You would gain more from choosing a cam tailored to the heads you choose. Unless you really plan to squeeze every ounce out of that motor, you would benefit more from leaving the stock valves in the car.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That`s how I`m feeling. The cam was spec`d for the build. The cam that was originally in the motor did not fit the build of the motor, so I had it reground. Lunati himself at Bullet cams spec`d it for me. It`s a baby cam compared to what other`s are using these days. I also have a set of TI retainers that I`m going to throw on these heads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power difference in running larger valves?