LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

problem, help please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:37 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alaureano
well not all scanners can do it. some of them are cheap and only read codes. a good one
will have different menus to select from and will have it under actual values. it should be under the power train section and some will have it under 2 options. one for engine and one for transmission. there is a port at the back of the intake near the egr where you can hook up a fuel pressure gauge. it has a black plastic cap that you twist off.
i would also recommend getting a repair manual from the parts store if you dont have one.
does it misfire going up a hill when the engine is cold?

i have a repair Manuel already... it's so vague though i rarely ever go to it.
i'm not sure if it does when it's cold.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since you have a 1997 then you will have 4 o2 sensors on the screen. you need to look for o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 or o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1. or you will see it as b1-s1 or b2-s1. the last 2 are the sensors after the cats which are b1-s2 and b2-s2. the last 2 sensors are not important unless you are trying to check the efficiency of the cats. those reading should always be stable and never follow the sensors up front. if they do, then the cats are junk or you dont have them at all.

Last edited by alaureano; 07-12-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:51 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll see what i can do, thanks a lot... I'll get back to this tomorrow and let you know.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

I had issues like this a couple times! One time I had the stock bellow where the CAI hooks to the TB folded under and didn't know it! Bad seal! It was sucking in air on the bottom side and it ran like **** or like a missfire! Found this and fixed it, ran great! Another issue was fuel pump! Mine actually ran like crap for a few days before it went all the way out. Easy way to check and see if the pump is out: turn the key to accessory which would turn on the fuel pump and then on the back side of the fuel rails which is the very back side of the intake where the lines hook up, there is a shraider valve, take the cap off and push in the shraider valve. If no gas flows it's bad! Simple as that....Also if there is gas coming out then this is where you can hook up a fuel pressure gauge and get a reading! Damn cars are pain in the A$$'$!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by alaureano
leaving the sensors unplugged will cause the system to stay in open loop. so it should not misfire like crazy. my friend had a constant misfire when on 1995 z28 because oil was leaking from the intake on to the driver side o2 sensor harness. i pulled the connectors apart and found oil inside. i replaced drivers side o2 sensor and it failed again after a few months because the leak was really bad. i decided to leave it unplugged and it ran fine until he got the intake resealed.
can you see the o2 sensor values with the scanner you used?
thats pretty nifty.. Odd but nifty... I dont understand how the computer could really tell that it is unplugged or if the sensor is malfunctioning though? (curiosity not denying) I have had a car burn up wires (lazyness on my part) to the primary (4 cyl so only one) and it ran like my t/a did when my sensors went to ****.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kenscivic
thats pretty nifty.. Odd but nifty... I dont understand how the computer could really tell that it is unplugged or if the sensor is malfunctioning though? (curiosity not denying) I have had a car burn up wires (lazyness on my part) to the primary (4 cyl so only one) and it ran like my t/a did when my sensors went to ****.
the sensors can get stuck in a certain value but still apear to function. there are different codes for the o2 sensors. the problem i had was that was one of them was stuck at 0.2 volts because oil got inside the harness and casued it to fail. that problem did generate a code but i forgot what number it was.leaving them disconnected just kept them in open loop so it ran fine.

Quick Reply: problem, help please...