LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Headers Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers Question

I am curious...I have Dynatech Long Tube headers right now. They hit on the steering linkage and I was curious if there are any out there that are made different and don't hit the linkage??

If not then how "good" are Dynatech headers, and what in your guys opinion is better??? I am getting another 3 grand and looking to make a few changes...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

They are probably hitting the steering linkage due to worn out motor mounts. Throw in some poly mounts and see what the clearance looks like after that.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

will do
Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking that dynatech was the brand I previously had on my Z. No offense but I hated them. They rubbed the steering linkage also and I'm pretty sure mine almost sat on the k member. I built a stroker engine and upgraded to a larger flywheel and had to buy a mini starter to fit. Well, the mini starter would not mount with the Dynatech headers. So I had to buy new headers just to mount the starter on my car. I upgraded to a Moroso oil pan and I couldn't get the oil level sensor to go into the pan due to the headers. So that was another problem. I ended up going with Hookers. They fit nicely and at the steering linkage, they wrap around it instead of rubbing up against it. Also, I have seen that pacesetters fit nicely. Especially up under the car. They look nice.

I sold my dynatech's to a friend and installed them for him. They rubbed his car worse than on mine. It was probably worn out motor mounts or just poor fitting headers. I took off the steering knuckle and grinded on it until the headers cleared. There's enough metal there to do it safely.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

I may try that...I havent decided if I wanna go with some new headers or if I will stick with the Dynatech's...I am having a HUGE problem with the headers vibrating loose from my heads and blowing out the gaskets, and such...Its really starting to **** me off.

I have been told that if you cut out the bar that connects the tubes together it will bolt to the heads better because instead of spreading the bolt torque over the length of the header it will concentrate it on the tubes...Any input on this??? Good? Bad? It makes sense in my head but maybe somenoe out there has done this and knows what the effects are...
Old 07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
I may try that...I havent decided if I wanna go with some new headers or if I will stick with the Dynatech's...I am having a HUGE problem with the headers vibrating loose from my heads and blowing out the gaskets, and such...Its really starting to **** me off.

I have been told that if you cut out the bar that connects the tubes together it will bolt to the heads better because instead of spreading the bolt torque over the length of the header it will concentrate it on the tubes...Any input on this??? Good? Bad? It makes sense in my head but maybe somenoe out there has done this and knows what the effects are...
I have never seen anyone do that. Sounds very unnecessary to me...
That's not another great piece of advice that you picked up from your previous sources is it?
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

lmao, no this was from a buddy of mine who is a mechanic. A dam good one at that. I trust him, but I wanted to see if anyone had ever done this. I am cinsidering it just to see what happens...if it dont work then I'll be fed up with these headers anyways and ill switch...
Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

I have the Jet Hots and they come apart and go around the linkage
Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kooks
Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the jet hot's too and the 1 primary actually comes apart and makes it's way clear around the linkage. The hookers are the same.

Quick Reply: Headers Question