LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No brake lights!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake lights!!

My brake lights just quit working. However the third brake light still works in the spoiler, my parking lights, turn signals, and hazards all work. So from the research I've done I think I've narrowed it down to the actual turn signal switch which the normal brake light go through, but the third brake light doesn't. My question is if all the wiring seems to be all connected on the Camaro, I have a 99 Grand Prix also and the turn signal switches look exactly the same at least sitting on the steering column, but curious if they are interchangeable for me to test the switch to see if that is the problem.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a test light. see if you have power at the sockets when the brake pedal is depressed. if there isn't power, check the fuse. seems like it would be the brake light switch, its attached to the pedal, check for power on either side.

don't forget to try replacing a bulb first, easiest fix
Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Bulbs were the first thing i tried with no luck. Fuse is fine as well. The research I did led me to the turn signal switch and said the brake lights went through there. Might just have to pull it off and see what I can see.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

no, i don't think so. the brake light switch is where you should check. it is mounted towards the top of the pedal. there may be two, one is for cruise control (the higher one) and the other controls the brake lights. check your grounds too.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
no, i don't think so. the brake light switch is where you should check. it is mounted towards the top of the pedal. there may be two, one is for cruise control (the higher one) and the other controls the brake lights. check your grounds too.

^ I agree. If the third brake light is working and nothing from the tails and you followed the advice from the previous posts - Brake Light Switch, on the pedal.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Well I'm having the same problem and I switched the brake light switch on the pedal and that did not fix the problem. I am left with nothing but the turn signal switch as the solution. I switched out the bulbs, fuses, and both the cruise and brake light switch. The last thing to do is the turn signal switch. So I agree with the OP and think you should try the turn signal switch.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

personally, i would check grounds then. also, get a test light and see where you have power, then back probe to where you don't have power. repair.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
personally, i would check grounds then. also, get a test light and see where you have power, then back probe to where you don't have power. repair.
I agree^. Also check the grounds. Its always a freakn ground.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rdemarce
Well I'm having the same problem and I switched the brake light switch on the pedal and that did not fix the problem. I am left with nothing but the turn signal switch as the solution. I switched out the bulbs, fuses, and both the cruise and brake light switch. The last thing to do is the turn signal switch. So I agree with the OP and think you should try the turn signal switch.
Well I did some work this weekend and it was a loose wire at the turn signal switch. Got it tightened up and it works like new. So give that a shot. Apparently from the diagrams I saw the third brake light goes straight from the switch on the pedal and the other two go through you turn signal because your turn signals use the same light as the brakes.

So my advise for anyone in the future if you have working turn signals, hazards, parking lights and third brake light but no normal brake lights, check the wiring at the turn signal switch.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just for referance mine is doing the same thing, which wire should i check? or where did you get your diagram?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Teching In

I'll try and pull that diagram when I get home and send you the link. I can't remember the wire color off hand.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:15 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

I am facing the same problem, this is a very useful thread!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Teching In

http://www.bigcee.com/faq/KLR650-col...ng-diagram.jpg

here is the link to the color diagram. Hopefully you'll have the same simple luck I did.

Quick Reply: No brake lights!!