LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stupid EGR flow Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid EGR flow Code

Well a couple weeks ago when I was driving to work this morning, I was going about 60 in 6th gear, the rpms were low and BOOM, yellow light.

Well about a week ago it popped on me in the afternoon so I swung by Autozone and they scanned it for me and the code that came up was P0400 EGR flow malfunction. and it was the same code today.

well when I first put long tubes on my car I would get this code a lot when I would run WOT with the headers open, but I havent had this code since.

I am guessing that maybe something worked loose. Since I recently moved to New Mexico and the roads here SUCK, feels like I am driving on a highway on the bump strip on the side emergency lane. LOL

So I checked and the vacuum lines to the EGR valve and Solenoid and the line from the solenoid to the valve was cracked, so I superglued it together and put a hose over that, so then again the service light came on.

So finally I pulled the lines and they werent leaking and then I noticed the solenoid wasnt seeming to be working, so I replaced it, and still warning light, so I pulled the EGR and it was full of carbon deposits and was very easy to operate so I checked and the diaphram was leaking, so I replaced it and STILL warning light.

So now I am down to the EGR pipe..

well anyways, you guys have any ideas, Ill probably get into it later today when it cools down.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

usually flow is a clog in the egr port/line somewhere. code for lift is generally the valve.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

you know, I never even thought to check for carbon clogging the passages.

thanks for the thought.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

youre welcome. hondas are notorious for clogged egr passages, especially the v6s. have to pull the intake and drill the carbon out they get so bad. good luck finding the problem.

Quick Reply: Stupid EGR flow Code