LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Splayed Main Cap Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splayed Main Cap Question

Doing a little research for the 383 and I want to splay the main caps but it is my understanding that aftermarket caps come a little undersized and need to be installed then align bored. I read somewhere that the align bore process can cause slack in the timing chain? Is this due to improper machining which bored into the block as opposed to primarily machining the caps? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
Doing a little research for the 383 and I want to splay the main caps but it is my understanding that aftermarket caps come a little undersized and need to be installed then align bored. I read somewhere that the align bore process can cause slack in the timing chain? Is this due to improper machining which bored into the block as opposed to primarily machining the caps? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Yes and no, It depends on how much has to be milled out of the caps. Times you are talking about paper thin clearances. Off brand caps may be way out of tolerances and need quite a bit of material removed, actually causing slack on the timing chain? I guess this could happen. I used Oliver caps and you can see where the machining just touched the caps...
Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
I have never heard of slack being caused by line boring/honing because when new caps are line honed/bored they use the existing front/rear main caps as reference. Whenever you change caps it is required to get them line bored/honed with the existing front/rear main caps. You just can't slap the caps on w/out machining and expect everything to measure out correctly.

Quick Reply: Splayed Main Cap Question