LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

why is my car doing this???

Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why is my car doing this???

So once and a while right after I bury the peddle "WOT" my "CHECK GAUGES" Light comes on for a few seconds then goes off. It's only at "WOT" never during normal DD. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time just every so often...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you low on oil causing it to slosh in the pan starving the pump and your oil pressure drops? When it tells you to check your gauges have you noticed anything out of the ordinary?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
Are you low on oil causing it to slosh in the pan starving the pump and your oil pressure drops? When it tells you to check your gauges have you noticed anything out of the ordinary?
Oil is perfect...in fact I just changed it out a few days ago. And nothing out of the ordinary when it happens.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Teching In

did you smell the oil ?it maybe diluted with gas causing low oil pressure happened to me few months ago and spun a bearing possibly the oil pump check everything with mechanical guages to be safe those dummy lights dont usually lie except the low coolant light lmao
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing low oil press as well. Watch your guage when you hit it and see if your OP dips during WOT. If your OP guage is not reliable then hook up a temp one to the aux port above the filter and see what your press looks like.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Launching!

When I hit it WOT the OP Gauge is sitting well above the half line. I have a new Melling pump and pick up tube w/ stock pan. I did notice that after a oil change it still seems about a quart low?? I thought they only called for 5 quarts??
Old 07-30-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFastKid
When I hit it WOT the OP Gauge is sitting well above the half line. I have a new Melling pump and pick up tube w/ stock pan. I did notice that after a oil change it still seems about a quart low?? I thought they only called for 5 quarts??
Isn't stock 5-5.5? Is your dp tube all the way in and if so fill til you read the right amount. Also, did you put any in the filter and are you accounting for that as well?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just like they said, watch the oil pressure, may be sloshing around...I lose about 1/4 of a tank when I step on the brakes! lol

Riddle me this;

Mine does the exact opposite, only under cruising, totally normal DD.
Will come on for 10-15 min, go off, or stay off if I turn the car off.

Do our cars hold a history for the codes so I can check what is happening even if the light isn't on?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe you're having a voltage dip from something shifting and making contact. like a battery terminal
Old 08-01-2009, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

So once and a while right after I bury the peddle "WOT" my "CHECK GAUGES" Light comes on for a few seconds then goes off. It's only at "WOT" never during normal DD. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time just every so often...
Mine has been doing same thing only maybe more than yours. I have tested and checked ,oil pressure (over 60# wot) alt. battery,temp,& gas cap all ok. I talked with 3 gm service managers all thinking its the IP CLUSTER itself. Just going to keep watching everything for now & take it out later.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Banned

Welcome to the club...I've seen mine come on twice now since the new build. Same scenario as you Gofast. I've noticed mine comes on when I brake really hard after I get done flooring it. I'm thinking the oil is sloushing around...
Old 08-01-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

low oil pressure under heavy decel could mean the pickup tube fell off, I know mine did
Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check for any wires burnt on the headers and im not talking about spark plug wires.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Launching!

my car soes the same thing except i get an ses light lol
Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myltwon
low oil pressure under heavy decel could mean the pickup tube fell off, I know mine did
So lets just say my pick up tube did fall off,, will there still be oil cycling if it did fall off? Is is dangerous to be driving if so? Sorry if this is a stupid question...
Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

So lets just say my pick up tube did fall off,, will there still be oil cycling if it did fall off? Is is dangerous to be driving if so? Sorry if this is a stupid question...
I wouldn't recommend driving without it, basically you can starve you motor under heavy decel or cornering. best way to find out is crawl under the car and hit the bottom of your oil pan with you palm and listen for anything to bounce around.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myltwon
I wouldn't recommend driving without it, basically you can starve you motor under heavy decel or cornering. best way to find out is crawl under the car and hit the bottom of your oil pan with you palm and listen for anything to bounce around.
Lol I will bang away...I hope it's not off. Is there a way to better secure the pick up tube if it did fall off?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

i just came across this thread on a search for something else...

i had this problem awhile back, at high rpm when shifting the check guages light would come on briefly. then after awhile it started blowing my ignition fuse. the fuse would blow, the guages would stop working, and the car wouldnt start after shutting it off.

time passed and it started blowing the fuse the instant i would turn the key on...

it ended up being a wire under the console shorting out against a bracket that was chafing the wire. if you take the console out it was a blue wire (iirc) running from the computer under the console routed along the right side of the shifter and going into a loom right behind the metal bracket the console attaches to up front. that metal bracket was what the wire was shorting against. pretty much the area right behind the cig lighter on a firebird.

not saying this is your problem, but it was mine. certainly a bitch to figure out.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:28 AM
Teching In

I have a 97 Z28 and it started doing the same thing to mine after i hit 160 on the freeway smoking a skyline. but mine doesnt stay on. it just blink rapidly when im on WOT at high RPM's. I dont know what the problem is either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why is my car doing this???