LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Miss around 5k RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
I'd pop the hood at night and look for arching, free and easy test
That's not a bad idea...I'm starting to feel it in the lower rpm range now. I'm gonna check for arching tonight. I have a coil on the way. I'm gonna test the fuel pressure hopefully tomorrow or at least in the next couple days. What's your opinion on MSD plug wires? I'm probably gonna go with those wires, but I'm not sure on spark plugs. I want the NGK's, but I just can't make myself pay that much for plugs lol...What's a cheaper good option for plugs? And I'm probably gonna go with an opti unit from the ebay seller "partsladi"(believe that's right) if my fuel pressure checks out okay...

Waiting on an update from 86formula...thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, so I got out there last night and checked it out. I did see some arching out from either the front driver side plug wire or the coil. I couldn't tell as I didn't have a flashlight with me. I got in there this morning after I got off work and moved around the plug wire from the first plug. It almost completely got rid of the miss. Definately getting a new set of wires and probably plugs. Glad I don't have to replace the fuel pump lol...

Another question, where does the plug wire that run around to the back of the engine off the back plug on the driver side run to? Any suggestions on a good set of wires/plugs for cheap? Thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bigchevyman24
Okay, so I got out there last night and checked it out. I did see some arching out from either the front driver side plug wire or the coil. I couldn't tell as I didn't have a flashlight with me. I got in there this morning after I got off work and moved around the plug wire from the first plug. It almost completely got rid of the miss. Definately getting a new set of wires and probably plugs. Glad I don't have to replace the fuel pump lol...

Another question, where does the plug wire that run around to the back of the engine off the back plug on the driver side run to? Any suggestions on a good set of wires/plugs for cheap? Thanks
That would be plug wire #7

Cheap would be Duralast replacements. Take extra care to keep them as far away from the exhaust manifolds as possible. I would get some MSD 8.5mm wires if I were you. I go the extra mile and use Accel heat sleeves at the plugs. Haven't burned a wire since.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

what's a good plug i can get from the local parts store? I have oreillys, advance, and napa. I'm not looking to spend $80 on plugs but not get the cheapest either. thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bigchevyman24
what's a good plug i can get from the local parts store? I have oreillys, advance, and napa. I'm not looking to spend $80 on plugs but not get the cheapest either. thanks
MSD's are over 100, but worth it IMO. Under 80 only leaves you with Duralast wires. As long as you insulate them with something, they will work fine. Accel heat sleeves are what I use, but they are like 60 bucks for the pack, also worth it.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Jegs 8.0 wires are only $35 (jegs.com). They seem pretty good, very low resistance. I bought some but haven't put them in yet. I'd go with the NGK plugs, they aren't too expensive and seem to be the best from what i've read.

Quick Reply: Miss around 5k RPM's