Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
^^^You did yours .030 over?
Yes sir !!!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

I agree with ss.slp.ls1. Just do a .030 overbore, and set your engine up to that. cheaper than a 383 and a 383 is a powerful setup for a "street" car
That's a great price for those parts, but i'm not looking at a 383, more like a 377. This car will also keep stock heads and cam.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

nice...thats a descent price. I got an offer once to do me .030 overbore for 10 a cylinder...that was the cheapest I ever saw
Old 08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

just do what ss.slp.ls1 said...
Old 08-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Teching In

just do what ss.slp.ls1 said...
Why?
I'm planning on replacing the whole assembly anyway, why not increase the stroke?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

You can do that if you want, but are you wanting a street car daily driver, or are you starting to look at more of a track car?

If you do TOO much you will need a buttload of suspension upgrades, driveline upgrades, and rearend upgrades just to make sure you can get traction, and you dont break something.

Why do all of those mods and keep it on stock suspension/rearend?

With what MY car has done I am scared shitless to take it to a track with slicks because I could tear up my rear end, and I already have alot of suspension upgrades.

I mean how much money are you looking at spending here?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Teching In

You can do that if you want, but are you wanting a street car daily driver, or are you starting to look at more of a track car?

If you do TOO much you will need a buttload of suspension upgrades, driveline upgrades, and rearend upgrades just to make sure you can get traction, and you dont break something.

Why do all of those mods and keep it on stock suspension/rearend?

With what MY car has done I am scared shitless to take it to a track with slicks because I could tear up my rear end, and I already have alot of suspension upgrades.

I mean how much money are you looking at spending here?
My builder quoted me 2200 for a bone stock rebuild including labor, so somewhere around that mark. A simple increase of the stroke will cause that many problems?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TakeN0Prisoners
Why?
I'm planning on replacing the whole assembly anyway, why not increase the stroke?
Why? Why not just replace what is not reusable? The stock crank is good for almost 1000hp. If the one you have now is not salvagable, get a new one, like I said.
Stock rods are good for something like 450 rwhp (just throwing a number out there). You said you are keeping stock heads and cam. So all you are effectively doing by adding more stroke is increasing your torque output. Nothing wrong with that, but you are going about these things *** backwards. If all you want to do is make your street car more peppy and fun to drive while being on a slight budget, throw the idea of a stroker out the window. No use in wasting money if you are not going to properly utilize those extra cubes with an upgraded valve train or better heads. And the cost of clearancing the block for a larger stroke (not needed) is about the same as an overbore and hone (needed to seat the new rings). I don't know what mods you currently have, but it sounds like a few more bolt-on's and maybe a cam upgrade are all you need to be satisfied and keep your street car status. Just do what I said in my first post and be done with it...
Old 08-05-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it possible to put a 400 crank in and skip the overbore? Making a 377 .
That's a great price for those parts, but i'm not looking at a 383, more like a 377. This car will also keep stock heads and cam.

a 400 crank stroke is whats used in building a 383
if your thinking about building a 377, then u will be using a crank with less than 3.75 stroke. and will pay more becuase u will not be able to use off the shelf conventional rods and pistons like for 383. have less ci, make less power and still be slow. because your using stock heads. and cam.
if your gonna rebuild, find a good stock crank with forged rods and pistons to build a strong 355 a .030 overbore is not really pricey and should be considered part of a rebuild.
building a stroker with stock heads and cam is not very wise, if your expecting some kind of a magic bullet you will be dissapointed.
dont build the stroker if youre worried about paying for a overbore, u will still need heads, cam, intake, tune just to feed the new ci, the stock heads can barely keep up with a stock bolt ons, cam lt1.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Why? Why not just replace what is not reusable? The stock crank is good for almost 1000hp. If the one you have now is not salvagable, get a new one, like I said. Stock rods are good for something like 450 rwhp (just throwing a number out there). You said you are keeping stock heads and cam. So all you are effectively doing by adding more stroke is increasing your torque output. Nothing wrong with that, but you are going about these things *** backwards. If all you want to do is make your street car more peppy and fun to drive while being on a slight budget, throw the idea of a stroker out the window. No use in wasting money if you are not going to properly utilize those extra cubes with an upgraded valve train or better heads. And the cost of clearancing the block for a larger stroke (not needed) is about the same as an overbore and hone (needed to seat the new rings). I don't know what mods you currently have, but it sounds like a few more bolt-on's and maybe a cam upgrade are all you need to be satisfied and keep your street car status. Just do what I said in my first post and be done with it...
I understand that I would only be increasing my torque output with a stroker. I need to talk it over with my builder so I can see what the cost of this compared to a 355 or 350 will be. If the price is acceptable I would like to have the extra cubes and torque.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NemeSS

a 400 crank stroke is whats used in building a 383
if your thinking about building a 377, then u will be using a crank with less than 3.75 stroke. and will pay more becuase u will not be able to use off the shelf conventional rods and pistons like for 383. have less ci, make less power and still be slow. because your using stock heads. and cam.
if your gonna rebuild, find a good stock crank with forged rods and pistons to build a strong 355 a .030 overbore is not really pricey and should be considered part of a rebuild.
building a stroker with stock heads and cam is not very wise, if your expecting some kind of a magic bullet you will be dissapointed.
dont build the stroker if youre worried about paying for a overbore, u will still need heads, cam, intake, tune just to feed the new ci, the stock heads can barely keep up with a stock bolt ons, cam lt1.
I want to build an engine with a stock bore and the stroke of a 383. I'm not looking for a magic bullet, just something that wont cost more than a stock rebuild. I understand that I will need a tune anyway, the engine was running very rich when it blew. I don't care about maximizing its potential, i'll be happy with whatever I get.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the crank and rods arent salvageable? start looking for used stuff on craigslist. i dunno what the big deal is about boring the block either?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Iam actually kindof confused as to what you want man lol. You start with a 383, then a 377, your scared of a 355, definately dont want a 350, you wanna use stock heads and cam, but wanna spend less than the cost for a stock rebuild???

Your making this difficult on yourself man!

Do a 355, get a cam to go with it, p&p the heads, upgrade the crank with a good stock replacement, fix what's broke, get a tune, and you will be happy and that should end up less than a stock rebuild...

After throwing rod bearings shouldnt you WANT to bore it a little to make sure nothing was damaged and everything seats up right?

Lets say 200 for .030 overbore
150 for tune
850 for P&P
450 for a good cam

That's 1650 so far...that leaves you 550 bucks to get whatever pieces are broken fixed if your builder quoted you 2200 and you wanna stay below that.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Hell with all that, you may even be able to throw in a 52mm throttle body or headers because I was going a little high with some of those prices...lol
Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I want to build an engine with a stock bore and the stroke of a 383. I'm not looking for a magic bullet, just something that wont cost more than a stock rebuild. I understand that I will need a tune anyway, the engine was running very rich when it blew. I don't care about maximizing its potential, i'll be happy with whatever I get.
With any Stroker you will need a Crank, Rods & Pistons, and get it balanced.

If you don't want to exceed the cost of a stock rebuild then guess what.. that's what you are going to be doing..lol

You are really confising the **** out of us though.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go pull a stock LT1 out of a wrecked car and rebuild it using arp hardware and good bearings. Then buy bolt ons and a 150 kit. Congrats you have a fun street car. No need for a stroker if you wanna toss a few ls1s around.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Iam actually kindof confused as to what you want man lol. You start with a 383, then a 377, your scared of a 355, definately dont want a 350, you wanna use stock heads and cam, but wanna spend less than the cost for a stock rebuild???

Your making this difficult on yourself man!

Do a 355, get a cam to go with it, p&p the heads, upgrade the crank with a good stock replacement, fix what's broke, get a tune, and you will be happy and that should end up less than a stock rebuild...

After throwing rod bearings shouldnt you WANT to bore it a little to make sure nothing was damaged and everything seats up right?

Lets say 200 for .030 overbore
150 for tune
850 for P&P
450 for a good cam

That's 1650 so far...that leaves you 550 bucks to get whatever pieces are broken fixed if your builder quoted you 2200 and you wanna stay below that.
$1650 is not going to do a 355. You forgot to include pistons, rings, gaskets and bearings.

If your using the stock heads, then scrap the 383 idea. Sounds like your pinching pennies to get a rebuild and are being unrealistic about it. Have the block checked and if it`s ok, then hone the block. Reuse your pistons and get new rings. Buy new rods because after you rebuild yours with new bolts, you`ll be at the price for comperable, if not better, aftermarket rods. Get something like a hot cam. You can pick those up pretty cheap and be done. Oh yeah, have new seals and the heads resurfaced. That`s your cheapest route to getting your car back on the road. If you want more cubes and horsepower, then you have to pay to play.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

that left 550 bucks for those parts...you can easily get pistons, rods, gaskets, bearings, and a crank for that cost. A Complete Stroker kit costs about 700 or so...stock replacement is not THAT much.

I also was GENEROUS on those prices...a P&P probably wont cost 850 bucks...450 is a little over on the cost of a cam...

Realisticly he should have about 6 or 700 for those parts.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

that left 550 bucks for those parts...you can easily get pistons, rods, gaskets, bearings, and a crank for that cost. A Complete Stroker kit costs about 700 or so...stock replacement is not THAT much.

I also was GENEROUS on those prices...a P&P probably wont cost 850 bucks...450 is a little over on the cost of a cam...

Realisticly he should have about 6 or 700 for those parts.
700 dollars for a stroker kit is going to get you a bunch of cheap parts with questionable integrity.

It cost much more than 2000 dollars to build a reliable 355 with ported heads, cam, valve train, and supporting mods. I'd say about 2000 just for the bottom end with quality machine work, new bearings/rings, and new 4.030" pistons.

Quick Reply: Street LT1 rebuild