LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

header bolts stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header bolts stuck

Well im removing the headers so I can finally get the heads off the block and port the hell outa them. Only problem is the center 2 bolts on the driver side and 3 of the bolts on the passenger side are frozen on.

I soaked them in PB for a few days and went at it and they still wont budge. I actually started to push the metal on the hex head to the side (AKA stripping the head). so I immediatly stopped everything to rethink.

Im still soaking the bolts. I Want to use heat, but I dont want to run into the issue of breaking a bolt or stripping the head off. Do you guys think that Heat will help enough that i will be able to get the bolts off without breaking them or stripping the heads? The bolts are only 2 years old when I installed the BBK shorties. I didnt have this problem before, all the bolts came right off no problem.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 213 Likes on 164 Posts

Are they the little 3/8 Head Bolts that come with most Headers?

If so I had a problem with some and ended up grinding the Heads off, removing the Header and the rest of the bolt hand-twisted out.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by deviladvocate
Well im removing the headers so I can finally get the heads off the block and port the hell outa them. Only problem is the center 2 bolts on the driver side and 3 of the bolts on the passenger side are frozen on.

I soaked them in PB for a few days and went at it and they still wont budge. I actually started to push the metal on the hex head to the side (AKA stripping the head). so I immediatly stopped everything to rethink.

Im still soaking the bolts. I Want to use heat, but I dont want to run into the issue of breaking a bolt or stripping the head off. Do you guys think that Heat will help enough that i will be able to get the bolts off without breaking them or stripping the heads? The bolts are only 2 years old when I installed the BBK shorties. I didnt have this problem before, all the bolts came right off no problem.
Were they those expensive "locking" header bolts? That could be the problem...
Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Did you put anti-seize onto the bolt threads?

Get a 9/16 6 point socket from Snap-on and have a go at them again.

The problem with the 2 center bolts is their location, very awkward to get to (with stock manifolds) but I don't know about shorties. However, get a torque breaker bar and give it another go.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

They are the 3/8'ths that came with the shorties. I dont believe that they are the locking style header bolt, unless BBK sent them to me with out mention on the parts list in the box...

And no i did not use any sort of anti-seize on the bolt threads. I wont be able to fit a breaker bar in there, but i did go out and buy a 6 inch 3/8'ths box wrench with a ratchet side to take them off...

I like the idea of grinding them off, and hand twisting them off, but the idea makes me nervous as to how stuck they are in the Head itself. Do you think it would be an issue getting them out if i grind the head off?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

vice grips! lol
Old 08-05-2009, 04:18 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by deviladvocate
They are the 3/8'ths that came with the shorties. I dont believe that they are the locking style header bolt, unless BBK sent them to me with out mention on the parts list in the box...

And no i did not use any sort of anti-seize on the bolt threads. I wont be able to fit a breaker bar in there, but i did go out and buy a 6 inch 3/8'ths box wrench with a ratchet side to take them off...

I like the idea of grinding them off, and hand twisting them off, but the idea makes me nervous as to how stuck they are in the Head itself. Do you think it would be an issue getting them out if i grind the head off?
There is a tip for you bro, next time use anti-seize on anything binding in very hot places.

A box wrench won't give you enough leverage man, you need a breaker bar or an extra long double side ring spanner. Snap-on also does them, but I don't know if they come in 6 point.

If you have a dealer for Snap-on, pay them a visit. If they guys there are technical, they will give you the tool you need.

Here is a tip from me to you. When you get this sorted out, replace these bolts with 12 point headed bolts or studs (ARP does them in stainless steel but rather expensive). You will NEVER strip a 12 point bolt or nut.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: header bolts stuck