LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Getting my MSD opti back from MSD tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **UPDATE** Getting my MSD opti back from MSD tomorrow **UPDATE**

**UPDATE*** well after reinstalling the "repaired" distributor i havent had time to drive it anywhere, just down my street and well wouldnt you know same damn code again with low res pulse circut! Car has not even been driven 1 mi! MSD optis are junk! Dont ever make the mistake off buying one. Im going back to stock sick of these stupid problems.***UPDATE**

Well After buying into the piece of **** MSD opti putting 4k on it, it took a dive. The wonderful low resolution pulse circut code coming on. Hopefully I finally nailed all my ignition issue back to the opti. Well after calling MSD up they were actually nice enough to at least fix it for me free of charge So i will give them credit on that since it is out of the 1yr warrenty.But I still had to dig it out, pay to send it back to them and wait almost 3 weeks to get it back. I should hopefully have it back tomorrow so I can put it back in my car. They told me over the phone they had to replace the disk, bearing, cap rotor and some plunger part, maybe missing something else too. Im thinking wow 4k on it and they had to replace all that what an amazing pile of **** they sold me then. Next time give me something that was not made in a 3rd world country thankyou! They did not replace the sensor on it however, they said it tested fine. We'll see about that one! Well cross my fingers it will last at least 8k next time around.... Anyone else need to go through this too?

Last edited by B4CZR2; 09-15-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

sometimes the bearing can cause the low res failure, any binding in the bearing will be picked up by the sensor by the pick up wheel.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good to know, anyway to avoid this from occuring again?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Use a stock base with the MSD cap and rotor.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well after reinstalling the "repaired" distributor i havent had time to drive it anywhere, just down my street and well wouldnt you know same damn code again with low res pulse circut! Car has not even been driven 1 mi! MSD optis are junk! Dont ever make the mistake off buying one. Im going back to stock sick of these stupid problems.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked your wiring harness?

I bet you have other issues
Old 09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you 100% positive the code was cleared before hand? Does the car run OK or no?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

I have read multiple posts with people having bad experiences with their MSD opti. I on the other hand have had the same one from 2-3 years ago and about 20k miles. All I did was loctite the rotor screws and use the square o-ring.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Same here, I had put around 40k on mine, and I had one of the early units. No issues, and no loctite, when I put it on I don't think anyone was having issues with them. I'm going to run it again once I swap the 94 motor into my truck. I would have used it on the car but I bought a 95 motor when I did a motor swap in the car.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I reinstalled it into the car, ran fine then just started randomly shutting off again when sitting by itself running. hooked it up to a real scan tool (not auto zone)and getting the low res pulse circut code again, this is directly from the optical trigger, which when msd repaired it the first time they "tested" it and said it was ok, they replaced everything else. What else gives you that read from the scanner? it starts to run rough till it died out when the light/code came on. If you have one of these optis good luck! hope it works well for you. as for me Im going back to stock. Worked well for 115,000 then still ran with 125k full of rust untill it was replaced.

here was the original:
Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Have you replace the opti harness?
Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

I ran an MSD and I had a problem that was my fault (The Cap Seal was not on there right).

I would have run another but I sold that motor with the idea to buy an RX7 and LQ4 it and ended up buying another LTx that needed work. I have gone with a Dynaspark this time and they have one hell of a good service program! Out of warranty no more than 90 for a complete rebuild. I bought a used one, my cam dowel pin was a little to long for 90 it was repaired and completely updated.

I personally like both but the Dynaspark is cheaper to maintain and frankly there service is better. MSD almost made me pay 180 for the rebuild but ended up fixing it for free (Although they did call a week later and try to get me to pay...)

I have destroyed many stock optis.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well testing the harness seemed ok
Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Teching In

I had to return mine for a full refund. I was so pissed, it was brand new - Mine did not seal properly around the O-ring. I think it was OK electrically though.
At least they acknowledged having problems with some of those early units and did not put up a fight. I ended up going back to the GM Opti and haven't looked back.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97COss
I had to return mine for a full refund. I was so pissed, it was brand new - Mine did not seal properly around the O-ring. I think it was OK electrically though.
At least they acknowledged having problems with some of those early units and did not put up a fight. I ended up going back to the GM Opti and haven't looked back.
This is my thought. Its too bad they couldnt make this bullet proof too. guess its one of those things where they spent all the money and engineered something great on paper but execution went to the lowest bidder...

Quick Reply: Getting my MSD opti back from MSD tomorrow