LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car Won't Shift when Started - Right After a Clutch Change - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Won't Shift when Started - Right After a Clutch Change - HELP

So I did my first clutch swap recently and thanks to you guys, everything went pretty smoothly.

I fired her up today, but when I went to put the car in gear, it wasn't going to happen. I turned the car off and noticed I could shift the gears while the car is off, even without pushing the clutch in. So I shifted the car into first, started it, and I was able to drive. But as soon as I put the car back into neutral to shift into another gear, it just would not go into another gear. So here's a break down of the problem:

1. I can shift the transmission, with the car off, without even using the clutch.

2. The car will not shift once started.

3. If you shift the car into gear (while off), then start the car, you can drive in that gear.

Someone PLEASE help the newb.

Last edited by Counted Out; 08-08-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your clutch isnt disengaging completly. what clutch did you upgrade to?

try bleeding your hydraulics again.

did your new setup require you to install a spacer?
you may have also installed the clutch disc backwards
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slayerized6
your clutch isnt disengaging completly. what clutch did you upgrade to?

try bleeding your hydraulics again.

did your new setup require you to install a spacer?
you may have also installed the clutch disc backwards
I have to give it gas to get it going though (when I shift it into first with the car off), so doesn't that mean it's disengaging?

I upgraded to a Ram Powergrip. LT1's don't use shims.

The clutch disc being backwards is a possibility, but I really hope not. Would that cause this problem?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

First thing I would do is bleed the system REAL good. Report back after you've bled it as much as possible.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nik1703
First thing I would do is bleed the system REAL good. Report back after you've bled it as much as possible.
I bled it pretty good, but I have a ghetto clutch fluid cap because I can't find my original one. So maybe that allowed air back into the system. I'll find a cap somehow, bleed it again, then post what happens. Thanks again.

Edit - By ghetto, I mean real ghetto. I have the float like thing (that goes under the cap) like taped down to cover the hole. I've been looking for a replacement cap but NO ONE sells them. Not even the stealership.

Last edited by Counted Out; 08-08-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I bled it pretty good, but I have a ghetto clutch fluid cap because I can't find my original one. So maybe that allowed air back into the system. I'll find a cap somehow, bleed it again, then post what happens. Thanks again.

Edit - By ghetto, I mean real ghetto. I have the float like thing (that goes under the cap) like taped down to cover the hole. I've been looking for a replacement cap but NO ONE sells them. Not even the stealership.
Give it a shot.

If not - you'll want to listen to what others said.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would the disc being backwards cause this problem though? That seems weird to me.

Any other things I should check? Because I'm really thinking I did bleed it right, but we'll see tomorrow for sure.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update: I didn't have time to bleed the clutch today, but I stepped on the clutch pedal while a buddy checked for bubbles in the reservoir and we didn't see any. Wouldn't that mean the system is bled correctly?

Also, another person on a different forum said he had a similar problem which was caused by the disc being on backwards. So slayerized6 mite have been right. But does anyone have an opinion on this; would it cause this problem?

Lastly, I got the clutch fluid cap - it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the problem. I wish it would have been that simple.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, so I got under there and pulled down the slave and the plastic retainer clip (that is supposed to break the first time the clutch is engaged) was still intact. This lead me to believe the slave was not fully opening up.

I also bled the clutch and there was some bubbles. After bleeding the clutch and reinstalling the slave, I am still having the same problems. I'm going to take down the slave again tomorrow to see if the retainer clip has broken yet or not. If it hasn't, it means my slave isn't opening up pretty much at all.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Check the master cylinder. I had to put a adjustable master on a friends car with that clutch to get it to work. I would put a Spec in it.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

When I bled my master/slave I undid that plastic retainer to fully open it. Then put it back on to ease install. Clutch works like a charm.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YSILT1
Check the master cylinder. I had to put a adjustable master on a friends car with that clutch to get it to work. I would put a Spec in it.
I'd like more information on your friends problem. As for Spec, that's what I took out of the car so I wanted to try something new.

Originally Posted by AChotrod
When I bled my master/slave I undid that plastic retainer to fully open it. Then put it back on to ease install. Clutch works like a charm.
That's how I did it but the retainer isn't breaking.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

just leave it off then and try it. It will be alittle tougher to get on but you would do it that way every time you pullthe slave anyways
I had to get an adjustable with my Street twin so that may also be your prob, like YSI suggested.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

just leave it off then and try it. It will be alittle tougher to get on but you would do it that way every time you pullthe slave anyways
I had to get an adjustable with my Street twin so that may also be your prob, like YSI suggested.
I've talked to Ram alot during this and they haven't even mentioned an adjustable master, but I guess we'll just have to see. Once it cools down a bit I'm going to go work on it. It's 103* right now.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Damn thats hot. It only got to 90 a few times this yr, around here. Its actually cool out right now.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Aww come on I did a full 3 hours trying to get that damn 81 Vette to pass emissions. It refused no matter what but I finally found a way, left a vacuum line unplugged and she passed like it was no one's business lol.

Granted it failed 3 times before that... I kept getting close but not close enough.

Either way hope all goes well and when I swapped my tranny I did not use the zip tie method, its not too bad to deal with.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cross
Aww come on I did a full 3 hours trying to get that damn 81 Vette to pass emissions. It refused no matter what but I finally found a way, left a vacuum line unplugged and she passed like it was no one's business lol.

Granted it failed 3 times before that... I kept getting close but not close enough.

Either way hope all goes well and when I swapped my tranny I did not use the zip tie method, its not too bad to deal with.
Well what I like about keeping the "zip-ties" on there is if they aren't breaking, I can tell the slave isn't getting pressurized fluid. Unless they are some like super powered zip-ties that are actually causing the whole problem. Haha.

And I hate working in the heat. I don't even have cement so sweating in the dirt really sucks. I can't wait till the lift gets put in.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ughhhhhhh.

I filled the slave with fluid and reinstalled it. I heard the straps break, so it's getting pressure now. But I'm still having more or less the same problem.

1. I can still shift with the car off and not having to press the clutch, but no longer into reverse (I used to be able to shift into any gear).
2. I still can't shift when it's started, except for into first (used to not be able to shift into any gears). But even when putting it into first, it takes some force.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Are all the connections right? I once put the skip shift eliminator in the reverse lock out and it did exactly what your talking about. Never left the lot so not sure if I had the other gears b4 we fixed it.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are all the connections right? I once put the skip shift eliminator in the reverse lock out and it did exactly what your talking about. Never left the lot so not sure if I had the other gears b4 we fixed it.
My car is a 93 so I don't have CAGS, but I will check the other connectors.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Shift when Started - Right After a Clutch Change - HELP