LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Head gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket question

Is it possible to have a blown/cracked head gasket and not have coolant in your oil? Or vice versa? I know I need a new radiator, but the car overheats even when I've topped it off.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, but there's a whole host of other things that will cause it to overheat, too. Why do you say you need a new radiator? If true, why would you think you have a head gasket problem?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^Exactly. How do you know you need a new radiator? If your radiator is cracked, your cooling system will lose pressure, making your cooling system inefficient and it will cause your car to over heat or boil the water out of your overflow tank.

If you want I can come check out your car sometime.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The radiator is cracked and sprays out water when it gets hot. So from what you're saying, I can't tell anything until I replace the radiator?

My friend is going to do a cylinder leakdown test with me tomorrow. The engine got real hot when I was stuck on a freeway and the radiator sprung a leak. Real hot. I'm assuming something bad happened.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96blackta
The radiator is cracked and sprays out water when it gets hot. So from what you're saying, I can't tell anything until I replace the radiator?
Basically...
Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm so tired of this love-hate relationship. (I love my car, but she hates me.)

I'll post the results of the leakdown test...
Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

You can borrow a coolant system pressure tester from AutoZone or O'Reilly's to find if and where you have a coolant leak.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
You can borrow a coolant system pressure tester from AutoZone or O'Reilly's to find if and where you have a coolant leak.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
He said his radiator is cracked and spraying out water...pressure test is just going to point out the obvious...
Old 08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96blackta
I'm so tired of this love-hate relationship. (I love my car, but she hates me.)

I'll post the results of the leakdown test...
Preventive maintenance pays HUGE dividends.

If your radiator popped, you can't tell anything at all until it's fixed, not even with a leak down test. you have to eliminate the known problems before a leak down test will even work, much less tell you anything definitive. If you do the test with a broken radiator, it won't hold pressure....so you won't know if you've lost a head gasket or not.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Preventive maintenance pays HUGE dividends.

If your radiator popped, you can't tell anything at all until it's fixed, not even with a leak down test. you have to eliminate the known problems before a leak down test will even work, much less tell you anything definitive. If you do the test with a broken radiator, it won't hold pressure....so you won't know if you've lost a head gasket or not.
A compression and leak down test is independent of the cooling system. You can perform the test to see if any of the valves are not sealing or if he is getting blowby or a loosing compression elsewhere. The fact that he has a broken radiator has no effect on the test results.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We didn't do the test, but we replaced the radiator and thermostat and everything seems to be going great.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

I think this is my problem. I replaced the thermostat, and it still gets high in the temps. Also while driving some coolant bubbled up on out of the overflow tank, and spilled everywhere. So maybe a radiator or Head Gasket, not sure. And yes my coolant level is topped off.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, if you replaced the thermostat, and it's still having a problem, that's strange. Are your fans kicking on? When I pulled off my fan sensor it was covered in gunk. Maybe you need to do a flush.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

it's the same location as the ls1 sensor? Driver side?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Ok. While I'm driving, the temp does not go high. Its only when I'm Stopped or in traffic. Then when I start driving again the temp goes back down. Maybe the fans are not turning on? or coolant temp switch?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nalmak
Ok. While I'm driving, the temp does not go high. Its only when I'm Stopped or in traffic. Then when I start driving again the temp goes back down. Maybe the fans are not turning on? or coolant temp switch?
Just so you know Nalmak, LT1's run hotter than LS1's. It's completely normal to have it sit at about 1/4 mark on the freeway and then when you come to a stop it will gradually rise and teeter around 210-230*. That's normal.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
A compression and leak down test is independent of the cooling system. You can perform the test to see if any of the valves are not sealing or if he is getting blowby or a loosing compression elsewhere. The fact that he has a broken radiator has no effect on the test results.

I understand all of that, but the leakdown test combined with a bad radiator and a possible bad head gasket is a waste of time until the obvious is fixed.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nalmak
I think this is my problem. I replaced the thermostat, and it still gets high in the temps. Also while driving some coolant bubbled up on out of the overflow tank, and spilled everywhere. So maybe a radiator or Head Gasket, not sure. And yes my coolant level is topped off.
You need to define "high in the temps".
Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
I understand all of that, but the leakdown test combined with a bad radiator and a possible bad head gasket is a waste of time until the obvious is fixed.
A bad radiator has nothing to do with it.
A bad head gasket could show up as a loss of compression in one or more cylinders. The test would verify that there is a problem. I don't see what your point is.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

If you have a bad head gasket, you'll have your leakdown test leak into the cooling system. Combined with a bad radiator already (I know, he already changed it.). After the radiator repair, all is once again equal, and I agree with you.

Quick Reply: Head gasket question