LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Doing intake tomorrow. again..

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Bah. Still leaks. Not the intake though this time around. It's a significantly smaller leak. It's just 4-5 random *** drips of oil on the floor. It's leaking somewhere and probably trailing off and running down the trans and dripping in random spots. FML. I give up on this lol
Check the valve covers, rear main, front main, TC seals, oil pan...everywhere, lol.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its probably your rear main seal, damn oil leaks huh?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Just sucks that everything is oily under there so I can't see where it's from.. and I don't have access to a lift at the moment. Front of the motor is bone dry. It's somewhere in the rear. All seals were replaced. front/rear main, oil pan, etc. Valve covers aren't leaking.. Wtf lol. I guess I have to pay some guy to let me use his lift
Old 08-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
the right stuff will last longer then 5 minutes. trust me i pulled my intake many times and actually once only once i didnt use intake gaskets I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW DONT BASH ME. ITS LONG AND COMPLICATED WHY I DID IT........ but "The Right Stuff" is all i use for sealants and i have never EVER had a problem with it yet.i would highly recomend it.
So are you saying dont use an intake gasket use RTV? Cause Im having the exact same problem and Im hoping to tackle it next week...
Old 08-14-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xxRONNIExx
So are you saying dont use an intake gasket use RTV? Cause Im having the exact same problem and Im hoping to tackle it next week...
No, spend the $13 on an intake gasket kit (comes with throttle body gasket and EGR crap gasket) and other neat stuff. Use the "right stuff" on the front and back portion of the intake manifold where it meets the block, where there is no gasket.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Launching!

No, spend the $13 on an intake gasket kit (comes with throttle body gasket and EGR crap gasket) and other neat stuff. Use the "right stuff" on the front and back portion of the intake manifold where it meets the block, where there is no gasket.
Thanks for the explanation
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Bah. Still leaks. Not the intake though this time around. It's a significantly smaller leak. It's just 4-5 random *** drips of oil on the floor. It's leaking somewhere and probably trailing off and running down the trans and dripping in random spots. FML. I give up on this lol
Make sure you give it enough time that any residual oil from the previous leak has made it's way wherever it's going to go. Clean things off and give it a few days.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing to do to an intake is to use a punch to put dimples on the intake and the block were the silicone will be touching and use any type of sensor safe silicone(I just use the high temp black from autozone for about five dollars).Install the intake while the silicone is still wet not dried and then torque to specs.I have done this on many LT1's and many other motors,I have never had a come back,because of the intake leaking after this.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shbox
Make sure you give it enough time that any residual oil from the previous leak has made it's way wherever it's going to go. Clean things off and give it a few days.
I can only hope that's what it is.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wrd1972
JMHO but I would consider those beads of RTV in the pic to be a bit on the excessive side. Remember that the gap between the intake and the block is around .060" and all those big beads will be displaced when it is torqued down. There is going to be a good deal of squeeze out when that intake is put on.

Worst thing that MIGHT result is dried excessive chunks of squeeze out under the intake breaking off and going down the motor and getting stuck at the oil pump pickup screen. Would that be a big problem? Dont know but why chance it.

1/8" to 3/16" beads are all it takes.
Great point about using too much RTV. I've seen engines ruined because excess RTV found it's way into an oil gallery.

Quick Reply: Doing intake tomorrow. again..