LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   LT1-LT4 Modifications (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications-31/)
-   -   1st fire up after cam swap (https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/1165894-1st-fire-up-after-cam-swap.html)

z_speedfreak 08-23-2009 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA (Post 12115067)
you sure you got the opti on right?

I'd say so, I've been thinking about pulling it to double check but only if theres nothing else left to check. I had a hard time lining it up and getting it on and it looked like the dowel pin on the cam wouldn't fit in any of the other holes anyways, I even tried having a piece of wire on the underside of the opti drive while putting pressure on it and couldn't get it on. finally I had my mechanic friend come over and help and he lined the proper hole up and had that thing on in under a minute. the opti didn't get a drop of water on it either btw. does it sound like a mis-aligned opti?

kinglt-1 08-23-2009 06:28 PM

I do know a mis aligned opti will run like shit and hardly idle. Ask me how I know!!

z_speedfreak 08-23-2009 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by kinglt-1 (Post 12115401)
I do know a mis aligned opti will run like shit and hardly idle. Ask me how I know!!

thanks for the response! If the opti was mis-aligned it would throw an opti code? if so I'll wait to my friend can come scan it for me, if it won't throw an opti code I'll check it out tomorrow.

z_speedfreak 08-24-2009 10:51 AM

alright so get this! I replaced the O2's w/ some old ones that were in the stock manifolds and unplugged the MAF and it fired right up! it was running how I imagine an un-tuned cammed car would run, choppy and slightly rough but when I hit the gas it didn't hesitate a bit and would rev right up and smooth out altho I only had the balls to rev it to 2k rpms. figuring I solved the problem I shut it down(it was still wanting to stall some on idle) to go close the cut out so I could hear the rockers better to check the lash adjustment. but when I fired it back up it didn't start so easy and I had to give it some gas to start, then it wouldn't rev up like before, no matter how much gas I gave it it wouldn't rev over 500rpms. I plugged the MAF back in and tried again but got the same thing and thats when I shot this vid> http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...h_100_0833.jpg
hopefully some one will have some ideas.. or hopefully scanning the codes will solve this problem, but I'm still waiting on my friend for that.
edit: also it doesn't smell as strongly of raw gas anymore, it still smells rich but has more of a sulfer smell to it. I pulled an o2 and a spark plug to see if either were getting fouled but they looked fine.
double edit: I unplugged the o2's and it starts right up again but the rpms will only climb some in the 1st few seconds then it drops to 500rpm again.

z_speedfreak 08-24-2009 12:31 PM

if theres anyone still reading:jest: : it fires right up and will rev up w/ the cut out open but struggles to fire up and won't rev up w/ the cut out closed. that should help some one I'd think, it confuses me tho!:D

The Cat 08-24-2009 01:20 PM

It sounds to me like there is a substantial exhaust blockage for it to only run with the cutout open. You will need to disconnect the ehaust components one at a time to pin point the location of the problem.

JB_97ws6TA 08-24-2009 02:53 PM

sounds like a plugged cat if that is the case

z_speedfreak 08-24-2009 03:59 PM

well I just dropped the Y-pipe and it still wants to stall and not rev up. do you guys think the blockage might be in the head? after I heard exhaust blockage I realized there MIGHT be a piece of paper towel that was left in the intake. I'm a dumbass if there is:poke: should that blow through or could it get stuck in the chamber if there is 1 in there? I know all cylinders are firing..

kinglt-1 08-24-2009 06:46 PM

your igniting gas under pressure in a chamber, paper shouldn't stand a chance lol, wow!

z_speedfreak 08-24-2009 07:42 PM

LOL!
anyways the codes were for the MAF sensor and the crank position sensor. we checked the connections and continuities and..half the stuff my buddy was saying was over my head, I hate electrics & wiring but he's wondering if my PCM is alright. I don't see how it could of gotten fried but there might be a loose connection some where. we checked all the fuses and cleared the codes after that and fired it up twice and no codes popped up. he's gonna check some stuff out at work and think about a couple of things and try to figure it out tomorrow.