LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sudden, complete loss in oil pressure?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well when mine broke it went to zero. THe internal wiring broke inside the black plastic place.

1995blacktattop the rule of thumb i about 10psi for every 1000 rps so your OP is within desired range. I have never personally seen it that low on a f-body though.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by litch2004
well when mine broke it went to zero. THe internal wiring broke inside the black plastic place.

1995blacktattop the rule of thumb i about 10psi for every 1000 rps so your OP is within desired range. I have never personally seen it that low on a f-body though.
well by that i'm not too low then because at 1000 rpm's im at 20 in that vid. my idle is ~ 500-650 and approx 10 psi if the gauge is right and i'm pretty sure its reading lower than the oil pressure really is.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do these cars have an oil press idiot light? I dont remember as I dont have a a 4th gen just the engine. If so when you lost oil pressure the light should have come on as well if it didnt its more then likely a faulty opsu but if both came on then that means you are actually losing oil pressure. The best thing to do would be to hook a mechanical gauge to it and run it to see exactly where you stand. If you have good pressure using a mechanical gauge then I would replace the opsu while it is out and make sure all wiring is clear of the headers. If the opsu and gauge works off of a ground=0 oil pressure then a burnt wire contacting something metallic that is connected to the engine will ground the sensor and the reading will be zero but im not sure how these sensors work ide have to get out the manual...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninety4three4
do these cars have an oil press idiot light? I dont remember as I dont have a a 4th gen just the engine. If so when you lost oil pressure the light should have come on as well if it didnt its more then likely a faulty opsu but if both came on then that means you are actually losing oil pressure. The best thing to do would be to hook a mechanical gauge to it and run it to see exactly where you stand. If you have good pressure using a mechanical gauge then I would replace the opsu while it is out and make sure all wiring is clear of the headers. If the opsu and gauge works off of a ground=0 oil pressure then a burnt wire contacting something metallic that is connected to the engine will ground the sensor and the reading will be zero but im not sure how these sensors work ide have to get out the manual...
yes they do. in the form of a "Check Gauges" light. i've seen mine come on a couple times in hot weather due to low oil pressure. one time last summer in indy in traffic it came on almost every time i stipped. if i really had oil pressure down near 0 i would have blown the motor i'm sure. and FWIW just because that light comes on doesn't mean you really lost oil pressure because IIRC it's directly tied into the oil sending unit, so if the OSU reads low/no oil pressure the CG light comes on. so just because you see the light doesn't really mean the OP is low. thats why our electrical oil gauge sucks.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pickup fell off ages ago. It loses oil pressure and sucks air if I hammer the brakes, OR hammer the clutch from a stop..

Quick Reply: Sudden, complete loss in oil pressure?!?!