LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blower style gear drives to replace timing set

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blower style gear drives to replace timing set

Ok ao I am doing my top end build very soon and want to know if anybody knows if I can put a blower style gear drive set in my 97 lt1 to replace the timing set. If so do I need to do any modifications? If possible where could I find the best deal? Any help would be awesome here. Thanks to all those who can help in advance
Old 08-21-2009, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked about these and basically while you can get a small block one to work (Just like if you remove the Water Pump Setup to Electric you can do a SBC Chevy Double Roller from what I understood when I asked) you can run them.

HOWEVER it will cause the Knock Sensor to go nuts.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

More info please. What can I do to make the knock sensor not go nuts?

And your saying that I have to run an electric water pump to run these in my motor?

If anybody knows exactly what I need to do please help. I really want that blower sound lol. I need all the info I can get and if there is anything needed to work then please tell me exactly what I am going to have to do to make it work.

I would put a supercharger on this but I just want to keep this a N/A motor. Thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 04:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no way to use the gear drives without setting off the knock sensors, they will read the noise as knock. Now you could tune out the sensitivity of your knock sensors I believe, but that would not be a smart idea, as those sensors are useful and can help prevent engine damage if knock is detected. If you want the blower sound with the LT1, get a blower. Otherwise, you could convert it to a carb setup and get rid of the PCM, therefore allowing you to use the gear drive without needing knock sensors, but the cost would not be worth it just for a sound of the gear drives. JMO....
Old 08-21-2009, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont see a BELT drive making more noise than the stock timing set...

JMO
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He's asking about the gear drives that are machined for more noise. They replace the timing sets on Gen I SBC/BBC, not an actual blower belt or timing belt.

-SS
Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.summitracing.com/search/M...20timing%20set

For referance, not listed for LT-1
Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This question comes up routinely. Most guys realize it is a pretty poor idea and drop it but if you search enough I believwe you wioll fiond a guy who did it and said it was a bad idea. Maybe you can be the second.

There are no gear drives with the waterpump drive for the LT1, and the knock sensors can easily be turned off in the pcm. Probably done a lot more commonly than you would thing. Doubt anyone manages to run them effectively with solid roller and those are pretty common. Hell even forged pistons can make them need a fair amount of desensitizing.

Oh and a friend thought the noisey gear drive was cool in his BBC till it started shedding metal and took out the engine.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. The idea is no longer in my mind. Lol.

Quick Reply: Blower style gear drives to replace timing set