LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Grinding noise after exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise after exhaust install

I had open headers for a couple days and everything was fine. Yesterday I put on the ORY and catback, and now every time I go from a dead stop/turn I can hear a grinding noise. I used the horse shoe exhaust clamps rather than welding it. Could the noise be the bolts or something vibrating?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96blackta
I had open headers for a couple days and everything was fine. Yesterday I put on the ORY and catback, and now every time I go from a dead stop/turn I can hear a grinding noise. I used the horse shoe exhaust clamps rather than welding it. Could the noise be the bolts or something vibrating?
i had that problem. there is a small bracket under where your y pipe merges, if its there take it off. other things could be the driveshaft hitting the exhaust or hitting a heatshield. poly mounts will fix that. and unless you didnt tighten the bolts all the way they will not vibrate. my rumbler has those clamps and have not loosened a bit
Old 08-27-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96blackta
As hit man said, check the driveshaft clearance as on my Borla one of the clamps has to be rotated or the bolts will contact the drive shaft all the time.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, will check.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

when I put on my pacesetter y it was vibrating against the hard lines underneath on the drivers side, I just bent them towards the floor a little bit and no more noise

Quick Reply: Grinding noise after exhaust install