LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Basic Bolt-Ons for Newbies!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What about 1.6-1.7RR? These are fairly "bolt-on" and produce a nice RWHP gain with all other bolt-on's.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have thought about putting those on in the past. They are a decent mod but dont provide much HP for the buck as a first modification, and a beginner enthusiast will generally not know how to install them or much less adjust them. It is fairly straight and easy modification for a average skilled person, but the list is comprised mostly of fairly easy/direct bolt-ons that require little-to-no adjusting or removing any parts from the motor itself.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points Aaron. RR's are among the last mods to do for a "bolt-on" set up in my book.
Steve...
Old 09-19-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

I'm sooo glad I found this site! I've been out of the racing scene for about 6 years and am just getting back into it. Took my first trip to the strip last night in a long time and it was a blast! Made it to the third round and freakin redlighted. I have a question or two about the roller rockers............did you notice a "seat of yer pants" power gain with the new rocker arms and would it be wise to install new springs with the higher ratio rockers? The car has 140,000 miles on it. Another question, I have no need to be emissions legal where I live, would removing the cats screw everything up and make it run worse as far as that "lovely" computer is concerned??

Here's my car at a glance........'96 TA, six speed, CAI, MAF screen removed, airfoil, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, TB bypass, Granitelli rear control arms, panhard rod, urethane bushings front and back. 3:73 gears and auburn pos unit next week hopefully. At 140,000 miles it still runs pretty dang consistent for a high mileage computer car, 9:20's in the 1/8 last night. On a cold night 6 years ago I did get in the 8's with an 8:97. I'm glad to be back in the world of speed!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

I never really got a seat of the pants increase in power, but the car ran a little smoother in the higher rpms(~5500-6500). with 140k milkes, your springs are prolly worn out pretty good and it would be advised to replace them anyways. If you are going to install larger ratio rockers, your gonna have to have stiffer springs because yours are so old and you would prolly get float otherwise. If the car has less than 50k miles, you can usually get away with stock springs and larger rockers as long as the cam is stock. But with a larger cam and larger rockers, you will have to get new springs to be safe. what im trying to say is....your car has high milage so I wouldnt put higher ratio rocker arms on unless i was going to a stiffer spring or brand new stockers since your cam is stock.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gangly, would the heads have to be pulled to do a valve spring swap on an LT1? i know there is a tool out there for the ls1 that allows you to chne them in-car.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info......thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Default where can i find a tunercat

where can i find a tunercat. im sure ebay but i didnt want to waist my time trying to look for something that isnt there. i have the basic cold air and exhaust mods but im looking for something that give my car a little more zip until i can really tear into it. i also have a ? about weather or not to get rid of my 94 fbody for a 98 or better. whart are the ups and downs of both.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by navymeinen
i also have a ? about weather or not to get rid of my 94 fbody for a 98 or better..

Old 10-13-2004, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Question just getting started on a tight budget

Gangly,
A friend of mine told me about this sight and I'm happy he did.I do have some ?. First, I just bought a 95 t/a w the lt1. I got no history w the car. I've changed the original plugs to ngk iridium tr55. The problem with this is -I can't get #8 out.I just don't have the room to move my hands the right way.The only way that I can firgue to do this, is to drop the Y-pipe. Any suggestions? Second, there is a black box that appears to be an air guide that attaches to the original air filter holder just behind/below the headlight.
How is this affected by installing cai. I see no way for a cia to connect to this.Does the mas have to be changed to go to cai. What are your thoughts on just taking the screen out of the original air sensor? Would it be sensless to change the original muffler to a FM 80 series to get better performance and sound?
Old 11-07-2004, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Forget boltons(unless lt's) just move to the heads & cam and spray! LOL
Old 11-08-2004, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97blkz
Forget boltons(unless lt's) just move to the heads & cam and spray! LOL
I WISH I COULD AFFORD TO DO THAT.FOR RIGHT NOW- I JUST INSTALLED AN AIR-FOIL ,AFTER MARKET ELBOW,NGK IRIDIUM TR55 GAPPED AT .055,MSD 8.5 MM WIRES,ASP 34% UNDERDRIVE PULLEY KIT AND MOROSO CAI KIT. THAT SHOULD GIVE ABOUT 30 MORE HORSES WHICH ISN'T BAD FOR $400.00. NEXT STEP WILL BE THE EXHAUST.

MACK

Last edited by mack; 11-27-2004 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mack
I WISH I COULD AFFORD TO DO THAT.FOR RIGHT NOW- I JUST INSTALLED AN AIR-FOIL ,AFTER MARKET ELBOW,NGK IRIDIUM TR55 GAPPED AT .055,MSD 8.5 MM WIRES,ASP 34% UNDERDRIVE PULLEY KIT AND MOROSO CAI KIT. THAT SHOULD GIVE ABOUT 50 MORE HORSES WHICH ISN'T BAD FOR $400.00. NEXT STEP WILL BE THE EXHAUST.

MACK
Maybe 15-20HP. Exhaust manifold is the big restriction.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mack
I WISH I COULD AFFORD TO DO THAT.FOR RIGHT NOW- I JUST INSTALLED AN AIR-FOIL ,AFTER MARKET ELBOW,NGK IRIDIUM TR55 GAPPED AT .055,MSD 8.5 MM WIRES,ASP 34% UNDERDRIVE PULLEY KIT AND MOROSO CAI KIT. THAT SHOULD GIVE ABOUT 50 MORE HORSES WHICH ISN'T BAD FOR $400.00. NEXT STEP WILL BE THE EXHAUST.

MACK

Stock wires are fine, hell, stock plugs are great as long as you arent spraying. CAI is the first mod you should do and you have that taken care of already. you might have gotten 15-20 rwhp if you are lucky like mentioned above. Air-foil is almost worthless, plugs and wires wont give you anymore hp than stock plugs and wires. THe aftermarket elbow is good for 2-3 hp and the pulley kit often times shows no HP gains on the dyno but seems to prove to be a good mod at the track which is whats interesting. IF you want to get real gains, let the car breathe. You got the CAI, now get ported MAF ends, long tube headers, good y-pipe, and a cutout. you will see a MINIMUM of 25 RWhp with that combination, but most likely a tad more. that right there is 400 bux and I garuntee you will feel a significant difference in power.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Launching!

I was just on the tunercat website, and saw that it does not support the 97 F-bodies. Does anybody know if they do or not?

By the way, great site. I was comtemplating on selling my T/A, but i'm gonna build her up now. TIA
Old 12-13-2004, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

TunerCat supports OBD1 only, but the program can be reworked to support OBD2 cars.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

who siad ignition isnt needed on a n/a car....did u ever hear of messing with the timing to get more power...and...for some reason....my car was missing when i started to get on it...bought an ignition box..and the problem was gone....the first things i did was do an exhaust and 4.10 gears...the best things did...then i did my suspenion and all of my air intake...now i need a motor!!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:29 AM
Teching In

hay guys

i have a 97 lt1 and a t56 in my chevelle that im building up and will be running the 94 computer. my main question is how are guys removing the mass air? and does this hurt the proformance of the car or gas milage.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by balls2thewall
hay guys

i have a 97 lt1 and a t56 in my chevelle that im building up and will be running the 94 computer. my main question is how are guys removing the mass air? and does this hurt the proformance of the car or gas milage.
not removing the MAF, that wouldn't be too good . I think what you're referring to is the MAF descreening process, a free mod which can help flow. I'd advise against it though. You'll probably end up doing more damage than good.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Hay i found out what the guys r doing its a air filter with the mass air as a part of it its made by street and proformance. but i was wondering if any one knows of a intake tube that turns dow insted of turning to the drivers side of the car

Quick Reply: Basic Bolt-Ons for Newbies!