LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone heard of this brand opti???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post. The warranty doesn't cover the number one reason for failure, awesome.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
I dont know what you're smokin but that is just regurgitated internet bs right there. You ONLY hear the bad stuff on here and EVERY SINGLE part made has a failure rate. It's impossible to escape.

Now if you actually would look at how the dynaspark and MSD are constructed you would see they are engineered to be better in every way than the stocker, and they are.

Rolling the dice is what I would call buying a so called "genuine" GM part that is no better than it was 15 years ago when it came out.
I have read quite a few threads about people having issues with the msd opti. I have also read threads about people having good luck with them too. The stock units have the same track record but they are damn near 1/2 the price of the msd!!! Point is nothing has been proven to be more reliable than stock unit as of yet, so why spend almost twice the money on something thats providing a minimal gain at best? Don't get butt hurt, Im not bashin msd at all!

Last edited by kinglt-1; 09-05-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im still going to go with GM OEM brand opti! never had an issue and have always enjoyed being able to not have to go back and re-due it cause i have had issues with MSD. only OEM for me!!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
I've got news for you...GM made (OEM) opti's have been out of stock for quite some time. Odds are, if someone says they have an original it's 1) used, 2) a lie, or 3) so rare, I still doubt it's the real thing.

Even the PARTSLADI will tell you he's out...

I used one from these guys with no issues...

http://tpiparts.net/inc/sdetail/9166

They have them made in Canada. Also, they provide a lifetime warranty on the part.
pretty cheap! but what the hell is this supposed to mean? "Wear and breakage are not covered under this warranty."
Originally Posted by fuzchunk
MSD knockoff might do beter http://all-ignition.com/gen2-df-lt1.html I have the real one though
that looks pretty damn good, has anyone here used one? also do the MSD one's have a riveted rotor like this one or just the standard screw?
Old 09-05-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have yet to have an OPTI failure.

I replaced the one on my corvette when I did my first Head cam package

(opti was still good and I sold it on EBAY) Funny thing was it sold for more than half of what the new one cost..

My 1995 Impala SS has almost 160K on it. I bought the car from the original owner and have every reciept for anything he ever bought for it. Long story short ORIGINAL opti.

I'll stick with OEM until someone shows me a 100K longevity with high rpm shifting..

The current OPTI in my Corvette is a couple of years old and must have thousands of 6800+rpm blasts on it without locktite (I never pulled it apart)

MIke
Old 09-05-2009, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

its seems like all opti's are just hit and miss
Old 09-06-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which is better? the GM opti or the MSD opti?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Truth be told, I JUST bought one of these opti's last week. I am not home, unfortunately, I am still in Germany, but im going home tomorrow. My buddy, installed the part. He said he pulled them both(oem and new one) apart, and looked over everything, and it seemed to be of similar quality. I couldn't exactly justify the $300 for GM at this point, when truth be told, unless its cap/rotor, they pretty much ALL break the same. My buddy ran the car, said it ran great, just fine. If this one lasts me 6 months or more, and it breaks, well then ill go to something new...dynaspark or LS1 pcm, something. But, if you don't mind the labor, I say hell why not. Its better to break a $140 opti than a $300 opti, if you don't mind the work right Ill give some more info this week once I get home and drive the car, inspect everything. Hope this can provide some insight. Oh, BTW, the seller is from Waterloo Iowa, and i'm from Davenport, so I figured WORST case scenerio, if he sold me some ****, its not so often you get an angry buyer at your door if you know what I mean.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i bought mine from he chevy dealer less than a year ago so who ever said they have been out of stock must be wrong
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Everyone should do a poll on MSD or OEM...

My Firehawk has 69,500 miles on it.. It is the stock opti and I noticed today while cleaning up the engine bay that there is or was a oil leak right on top of the opti. We only have had the car for 2 weeks now. My question is what is the schedule for changing the cap and rotor? Would you even bother with changing the cap and rotor and just change out the unit as a whole? I know on my previous cars that had distibuters I would change the cap and rotor every 50,000 miles.. The car has sum sputtering when it is not warmed up that could be a opti issue but I am leaning towards bad gas at the moment..

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 09-06-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The main difference between an OEM opti and the cheap optis is the actual sensor. Don't judge an opti by its cap! True GM optis only come with the Mitsubishi sensor! I have cracked open quite a few and the cheap brands leave quite a few questions to be answered. Mainly in quality and buildmanship. The cheap ones had fingerprints all over the shutter wheel and there were no markings on the sensor. Wonder where it was made?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

I bought my 1993 trans am with the original non vented opti. The water pump was leaking all over it, oil was freakin evrywhere, the opti just looked like a chunk of grease, and when i got it off and scraped all the goo of it i realized the cap was cracked wide open! And it still ran fine somehow, like the goo was actually sealing it. I pulled the motor and replaced all gaskets, and added all bolt ons except for elec water pump, got a madz28 tune, bigger injectors, and all I did with the trashed opti was buy an msd cap and rotor because it was still working great. I did loctite the rotor screws and used hi temp rtv to seal the little vent holes, and actually went all the way around the opti too, even though it comes with a seal because the seal looked like **** imo. I,v put 8k on my car in the last 4 months driving it like i stole it, and shifting at 6000 all day.

Another thing I think effects the opti is where you live, I live in colorado springs and its really dry here. But my car did live its whole life in ND so that could be bullshit too. MSD optis look really nice and i would buy one, but replacing an opti is so freaking easy I just couldent justify buying one unless the rest of the ignition system was as good as the msd opti. Putting a 500 dollar msd opti on a stock ignition system just doesent seem right to me unless they wer simply indestructable, but it seems to be pretty close between them and an actual oem opti.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by halucinator
The main difference between an OEM opti and the cheap optis is the actual sensor. Don't judge an opti by its cap! True GM optis only come with the Mitsubishi sensor! I have cracked open quite a few and the cheap brands leave quite a few questions to be answered. Mainly in quality and buildmanship. The cheap ones had fingerprints all over the shutter wheel and there were no markings on the sensor. Wonder where it was made?
Yep thats right. Mitsu came up with the tech long ago, and it works fine for them, GM just put the opti in such a war zone its a battle for the opti to survive. I'm really surprised they do as good as they do to be honest. It's one of those things that make you think engineers are out to get you, like they all gather once a year and have a good laugh at all us poor ******* that deal with theyr practical jokes.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
I did loctite the rotor screws and used hi temp rtv to seal the little vent holes, and actually went all the way around the opti too,
The vent hole is suppose to hooked up to your cai via a 3/8" hose. Condensation can't escape if the opti is completely sealed, there was a reason opti's switched to a vented design on the 96-97 cars. Everything else you did was correct tho.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to the guy who designed teh MSD Opti at the MSD Booth last year on Power Tour. He had some terrific logic, at least made very good sence to me.

Short story. New MSD Billet Opti in my Frehawk last summer. Haven't looked back. I think it's a major upgrade over OEM. Found him this year and thanked him on Power Tour even though they had no booth.

Just my $.02

Jon
Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres a good read

http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/How%20t...%20better.html
Old 09-08-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
The vent hole is suppose to hooked up to your cai via a 3/8" hose. Condensation can't escape if the opti is completely sealed, there was a reason opti's switched to a vented design on the 96-97 cars. Everything else you did was correct tho.
No he's right. Non-vented opti's have three small holes in the case for venting. It's not as good of a vent as the later years though. MSD has you seal them off when you use their cap.

This is a good discussion. I need a new opti for my new motor. I want OEM, but there are so many fakes out there I'm afraid I'll buy junk. And I wouldn't be surprised if vendors selling "OEM," are not really OEM.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oops, I was thinking he plugged then vent hole on the cap, my bad.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 09-08-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by halucinator
I totally agree with this statement. I used an autozone reman opti and a $25 cap and rotor from ebay. I used the reluctor wheel from my old opti and I it has been working excellent. The autozone reman had the mitsubishi optical sensor.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Thepartsladi doesn't seem to stock OEM Delco's anymore, but the Delphi units are the exact same, save cap color difference, and maybe slightly rougher casting marks on the opti base. They use the same mitsu logo'd optical sensor. They are one of the cheapest places to get Delphi "OEM" opti's, and carry a two year warranty. One on my car I sold was running just fine.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of this brand opti???