LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need some help with modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need some help with modifications

i have a 1994 lt1 camaro z28 convt. i wanna get simple modifications from summit racing like an underdrive pulley kit, cold air, and etc. anyone have suggestions on what to get for a reasonable price?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

whats done to the car? first thing i would get would be a CAI and full exhaust, under drive pulleys are a waste of money unless your like .01 from running what you want to run IMO
Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Teching In

right now its bone stock just got the car a few months ago. it has the what they called exhaust package or whatever it was but thats it.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

i would go with full exhaust (long tube headers, y-pipe, catback) and a cold air intake (k&n or moroso are what i would recommend). for the exhaust you can go with Pace setters to stay on the cheaper side, they still perform and can be had for 300ish if i remember correctly. then throw gears in it for a good seat of the pants gain
Old 09-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Teching In

from what i hear its a bittttch to put on long tubes with out lifting the engine up is that true? i was looking at summits version of a cold air intake its 182 and the exact same as k&n that 245.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Start off with the cold air intake (Moroso/K&N) like everyone's saying, then do a set of gears. Bang for buck, gears are probably the best thing besides nitrous.

Don't get me wrong, my long tube headers + tune woke my car right up, but not like my 4.10's did.

Go with 3.42's or 3.73's if youre an automatic and 3.90's or 4.10's if youre a 6-speed. It'll cost ya about $200 for the gears, $90 for a complete rebuild kit and roughly a couple hunder dollars for a good shop to set them up for ya (LT headers and y-pipe cost about the same or more).
Old 09-05-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bkeysz28
from what i hear its a bittttch to put on long tubes with out lifting the engine up is that true? i was looking at summits version of a cold air intake its 182 and the exact same as k&n that 245.

You won't be able to get the long tubes in without lifting the engine. To get my Hooker LT's in I had to unbolt and remove the engine mounts completely one side at a time, with a piece of plywood and a hydraulic floorjack under the oilpan. The headers went in from above, unlike LS1 long tubes. Those guys can usually get them in from below. It was a royal pain in the *** and took up a whole damn weekend lol.

When I finally got them in the car ran too rich, plus I was getting an EGR engine code. So I just deleted the EGR system and AIR pump and then I got a PCM tune through Madtuner.com to get the car to running properly and eliminate any possible emissions codes from being thrown.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
You won't be able to get the long tubes in without lifting the engine. To get my Hooker LT's in I had to unbolt and remove the engine mounts completely one side at a time, with a piece of plywood and a hydraulic floorjack under the oilpan. The headers went in from above, unlike LS1 long tubes. Those guys can usually get them in from below. It was a royal pain in the *** and took up a whole damn weekend lol.

When I finally got them in the car ran too rich, plus I was getting an EGR engine code. So I just deleted the EGR system and AIR pump and then I got a PCM tune through Madtuner.com to get the car to running properly and eliminate any possible emissions codes from being thrown.
My MACs, Jet Hots, and LPPs all went in without having to jack anything up. It seems to vary from car to car (probably related to motor mount conditions), but in many cases it is not necessary. You won't know if you have to jack everything up until you get the old manifolds out and start installing the new headers. Plan on a full day to get them in.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

check out this website . http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/lt1boltons.htm
Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than a cold air intake and exhaust, I would start with the rear suspension, then work your way forward...

As far as cold air intake, i did the ls1 lid conversion, running the slp lid with a k&n, best IMO, although I did have to get a cowl hood to fit it, but definatly worth the trouble.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
My MACs, Jet Hots, and LPPs all went in without having to jack anything up. It seems to vary from car to car (probably related to motor mount conditions), but in many cases it is not necessary. You won't know if you have to jack everything up until you get the old manifolds out and start installing the new headers. Plan on a full day to get them in.
You got Jet Hot LT's in without lifting the motor? Jet Hots are exact Hooker knock-offs. You must be lucky, my headers wouldn't even come anywhere close to going in without lifting the whole motor.

I bought my headers because I got a good deal on them (I think like $650 shipped with y-pipe) and Hooker/JetHot make a great header. Then like 1 month later the LPP's came out and I'm hearing all these great things about them and the fact that they were cheaper than the Hooker LT's and much easier to install was a nice swift kick in the nuts. I didn't realize they were that easy to put in though, holy cow (not having to lift the motor).

All im saying though is that Long Tube headers are a great mod to do, and will really wake an LT1 up with a tune. But best bang for buck besides nitrous oxide for me is gears. Get ride of the those 3.23's and swap in some 4.10's and your car will freakin screw.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
You got Jet Hot LT's in without lifting the motor? Jet Hots are exact Hooker knock-offs. You must be lucky, my headers wouldn't even come anywhere close to going in without lifting the whole motor.

I bought my headers because I got a good deal on them (I think like $650 shipped with y-pipe) and Hooker/JetHot make a great header. Then like 1 month later the LPP's came out and I'm hearing all these great things about them and the fact that they were cheaper than the Hooker LT's and much easier to install was a nice swift kick in the nuts. I didn't realize they were that easy to put in though, holy cow (not having to lift the motor).

All im saying though is that Long Tube headers are a great mod to do, and will really wake an LT1 up with a tune. But best bang for buck besides nitrous oxide for me is gears. Get ride of the those 3.23's and swap in some 4.10's and your car will freakin screw.
Yep, they slipped right in no problem. Still, the install is a pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: need some help with modifications