LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Exhaust Setup :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Exhaust Setup :)

After missing out in May I finally pulled the trigger and bought a GMMG. I got a great deal on it used. Here are some pics, will get installed pics hopefully in a few days.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:30 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Didn't you get a TSP Rumbler? Were you not happy with it?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me that exhaust can be a area where its hard to get what you want. I'm on my 4th header back setup and I've had the car a little under five years. I'm finally satisfied for ground clearance/sound/flow. Then I'm gonna move up North and probably buy some of those fake cats and get the piping run the rest of the way over the axle instead of dumped. Damn, still not done.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah finding the "right" setup can be hard. I have had my motor in my car for 2 years and have built 2 different exhaust setups, and had a total of 4 since I got the car LOL. It started with manifolds, cat removed with a cutout there, no muffler and center exit ( not CME, just hooker tips) Then I cut off the tailpipe and installed a bullet in the I pipe, much better than the previous setup. Then I blew the motor and installed hooker LTs, custom built x pipe and bullets dumped. Then I bought a new TA and my exhaust hit on the new arm so I decided to build a new setup and it turned into what I have now in my sig, 2.5" all mandrel bent, over the axle into a magnaflow and 2OTL tips I love the sound now, but on downshifts it has a weird rap to it. Everyone but me loves my setup, but this winter I have new plans, LPP headers (or stepped ebays if I can't get the LPPs), magnaflow x pipe, 3" stainless mandrel bent pipes, chopped up floor pans, mufflers mounted under rear seats, 1 pipe per side, and hidden tailpipes. But I can't decide on mufflers yet, I'm thinking hookers, but may go magnaflow again, or spintech. But I'm doing all v bands so if I get tired of the sound I can swap them out easily.

GMMGs sound amazing, but honestly too loud for my taste, especially with no cats and LTs. LTs and highflow cats they sound sick though, but still really loud LOL. Be sure to get some clips of it when your done.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BTC
Didn't you get a TSP Rumbler? Were you not happy with it?
i was, especially after i did the LM1 conversion. but after i bought it, 3 GMMGs went up for sale, so i promised myself that the next time one went for sale i would get one
Old 09-06-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by camar0corey
It seems to me that exhaust can be a area where its hard to get what you want. I'm on my 4th header back setup and I've had the car a little under five years. I'm finally satisfied for ground clearance/sound/flow. Then I'm gonna move up North and probably buy some of those fake cats and get the piping run the rest of the way over the axle instead of dumped. Damn, still not done.
im on my fourth in 2 years i was happy with my LM1 but i couldnt pass this up
Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good investment I installed my GMMG a little over a week ago and damn even though its stock with a CAI it sounds SOOOOOOOOO good i usually don't listen to music anymore since i put this on but I wonder how shorties will effect the sound. You should post a video once you get it on. Id post a clip but i dont have a video camera
Old 09-06-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LT1 Z/28
Good investment I installed my GMMG a little over a week ago and damn even though its stock with a CAI it sounds SOOOOOOOOO good i usually don't listen to music anymore since i put this on but I wonder how shorties will effect the sound. You should post a video once you get it on. Id post a clip but i dont have a video camera
im curious as well. shorties ruined the dynomax, sounded like a truck. they made the LM1 sound amazing. the closest setup i have seen to mine is a 95 camaro with mids and a highflow cat with GMMG, sounded good to me
Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Yea i saw a video of one on youtube and camaroz28 videos it sounded pretty good both were mac mid with high flow cat but i havent seen anything about gmmg with shorties im anxious to see this video it'll help me decide if i want to go shorties or just stay with manifolds due to emissions
Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

here are some pics, install was a bitch. it is a very tight fit, i had to drop the upper panhard rod to get it to fit. sound clip coming soon

Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm jealous, As I am also not quite there yet with my exhaust. I tried to replicate the GMMG setup just by using a couple different chambered mufflers, it didn't work. I have the TSP rumbler with a powerstick in place of the rumbler bullet, which I found out are the exact same. Then I added 2 cherry bombs just before the tips, which I learned are the same as the powerstick, dynomax bullet, etc. They merely took a slight edge off of the volume of the exhaust to make it more liveable. My muffler guy confirmed this. So I'm not sure why GMMG sounds different....I guess it's just the bends? Or 3" (mine) versus 2.5"? Mine still sounds good, just slightly too loud, and I am still looking for something different.

I am going to try some short single chamber mufflers or something in place of the cherry bombs. My muffler guy told me the only way I am going to make it quieter is by running a traditional style muffler in there
Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I'm jealous, As I am also not quite there yet with my exhaust. I tried to replicate the GMMG setup just by using a couple different chambered mufflers, it didn't work. I have the TSP rumbler with a powerstick in place of the rumbler bullet, which I found out are the exact same. Then I added 2 cherry bombs just before the tips, which I learned are the same as the powerstick, dynomax bullet, etc. They merely took a slight edge off of the volume of the exhaust to make it more liveable. My muffler guy confirmed this. So I'm not sure why GMMG sounds different....I guess it's just the bends? Or 3" (mine) versus 2.5"? Mine still sounds good, just slightly too loud, and I am still looking for something different.

I am going to try some short single chamber mufflers or something in place of the cherry bombs. My muffler guy told me the only way I am going to make it quieter is by running a traditional style muffler in there
its the design that makes the sound. the inside is very similar to a glass pack without the fiberglass. and if you want a quiet muffler and good power, get a hooker aerochamber
Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LT1 Z/28
Yea i saw a video of one on youtube and camaroz28 videos it sounded pretty good both were mac mid with high flow cat but i havent seen anything about gmmg with shorties im anxious to see this video it'll help me decide if i want to go shorties or just stay with manifolds due to emissions
it is very deep and loud, the volume is very similar to the LM1. its not quite as deep as the dynomax was, so id say its perfect
Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been thinking of that and getting rid of the bullet in the i-pipe, or a pypes race pro muffler and keeping the i-pipe for a more mellow, but still aggressive and unique sound.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I've been thinking of that and getting rid of the bullet in the i-pipe, or a pypes race pro muffler and keeping the i-pipe for a more mellow, but still aggressive and unique sound.
i ran the rumbler before i got the GMMG. if you want to save yourself some time get a borla XR1 muffler. that will probably be the quietest option if you want to stay with a modular catback
Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
it is very deep and loud, the volume is very similar to the LM1. its not quite as deep as the dynomax was, so id say its perfect
Ahh so its still deep and loud cuz right now on my stock car its pretty loud when it gets to 2000+ rpm and idling sounds beautiful lol but i what the difference is between sound manifolds vs shorties how is it cruising or under acceleration?

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Setup :)