LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Freshening Up the Motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Freshening Up the Motor

Just curious with 160k on the clock for my motor what would be some good things to go ahead and replace kinda as preventative maintenance at this stage in the game. New timing chain? if so single or double roller? valve springs? etc...fwiw...emissions has been deleted, fuel pump is a few years old, filter has about 5k miles on it, opti was changed 1.5 years ago, i have an ewp on it, and changed wires and plugs when i did headers about a year ago. I'm also gonna be changing the intake manifold gasket again since it's leaking down the back of my motor
Old 09-07-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
Just curious with 160k on the clock for my motor what would be some good things to go ahead and replace kinda as preventative maintenance at this stage in the game. New timing chain? if so single or double roller? valve springs? etc...fwiw...emissions has been deleted, fuel pump is a few years old, filter has about 5k miles on it, opti was changed 1.5 years ago, i have an ewp on it, and changed wires and plugs when i did headers about a year ago. I'm also gonna be changing the intake manifold gasket again since it's leaking down the back of my motor
Probably the easiest thing to do now is a cam swap with new lifters, timing chain, 1.6 rockers and new valve springs.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock valve springs suck new, with 160k on the clock they're costing you some hp. So I'd def replace those along with the valve stem seals while you're in there. Swapping the timing chain would also be a good idea, a stock GM replacement would be fine or you could switch to a roller since you have an ewp.

But like mentioned above, its a good bit of work and gaskets to change these things out so if you're thinking of a cam just do it now.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

dont forget cam bearings. the front one sees alot of abuse because of the water pump drive
Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

i didnt really wanna throw a cam in there right now...i feel like that would just speed up the process of my bottom end going out...i would def do one after i do a rebuild

Quick Reply: Freshening Up the Motor