LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

During speed shifting is it bad to bounce off Mallory 685 rev limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default During speed shifting is it bad to bounce off Mallory 685 rev limiter?

I plan on speed shifting, never lifting my foot off the gas and just quickly hitting the clutch. I have my shift light at 6400 and my Mallory 685 rev limiter is at 6700. I will not be that great these first few trys, so will bouncing off the Mallory 685 rev limiter do any damage? If so why?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo hitting the rev limiter will always hurt (saying it lightly) the motor cause if im not mistaking when you hit the rev limiter it either cuts fuel or cuts ignition to keep the motor from hitting any higher rpm. would you do any serious damage? maybe over years of bouncing off the limitier but you should be fine once you get good enough if your shifting at 6400 and the limiter is at 6700 you should olnly hit the limiter one time if at all. good luck with it.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
imo hitting the rev limiter will always hurt (saying it lightly) the motor cause if im not mistaking when you hit the rev limiter it either cuts fuel or cuts ignition to keep the motor from hitting any higher rpm. would you do any serious damage? maybe over years of bouncing off the limitier but you should be fine once you get good enough if your shifting at 6400 and the limiter is at 6700 you should olnly hit the limiter one time if at all. good luck with it.
So does that mean using a launch controller for m6 is bad since they cut off spark at the rpm you want to launch?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

after market ignition revlimiters are usually alot easier on the motor than the pcm limiter. The mallory should not cut fuel, just spark.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DJM----- imho yes. thats just me though many people will argue. but in the same sense a trans brake is bad on your driveline cause youve got it stuck between Neutral, and rev. (i believe thats right) i mean this is a tough question. putting a cam in your motor is hurting it. but what it really comes down to is to what extend is it hurting your motor. is it something that is gonna shatter a wrist pin or blow a hole in your piston if you run your car on the weekends or every now and again, no itll be alright.

looking at your mods you have very good supporting mods so you should be perfectly fine. i dont think itll be bad i personally would never use a two step or a rev limiter or i would set it a little higher so i wouldnt bounce off it but still be safe with my motor.

Again im no guru or genious just a backyard shade tree mechanic throwing out my two pennies. i hope you understand my post i know i kinda went all over the place with it lol sorry

Quick Reply: During speed shifting is it bad to bounce off Mallory 685 rev limiter?