LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Odd Issue, seeking help...

Old 09-09-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odd Issue, seeking help...

As long as I can remember my car has had a really odd issue, I'm going to try and describe it...

Every time during a WOT run, it will cut out at around 4000-4500 rpm... acts like its hitting the rev limiter.

If I ease into it, it'll spin high without a problem.

Now once the car is warm, it stutters and has no power at lower rpms. If I mash the gas, it'll eventually wake up and launch, but still will miss at higher rpms as described above...

Also, if it ever gets wet, it'll die. Thats always been an issue though. I don't think it's entirely related.

It's also idling a little bit odd... not missing, just idling strangely....

Any ideas? Or should I just go the basic route... Plugs, Wires, then Coil, ICM, Opti, etc...

The car has 100k miles. Taken care of. Has Taylor wires, MSD Coil, and factory opti with about 250k miles...

Usually when the car gets wet, it'll straighten up and act right after awhile or a day or two... It's done that crap about 20 good times to me... also, had 6 water pumps dump on it shortly after the build...

The symptoms are just odd... I'm wondering if anyone shares issues that are somewhat similar, and what have they done to resolve the problem...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

most likely the wetness and the dieing are opti related.

taylor wires = JUNK i just had to throw away a brand NEW set on my car.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Well, not so sure the water pumps dumping on it was a good thing. I hate condemning optis like the computers were condemned all the time in the 80's when they were a newer idea, but one time maybe, six and it probably has done some damage to the opti I would think. Have you done the typical fuel filter, injector, etc. checks? Also, any chance of electrical interference from something causing firing issues? aftermarket spark plug wires solid core or something? Some wire tie wrapped to something computer related allowing an electrical interference?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

throwing any codes? Just from hearing how it reacts I would suspect Opti. I had some strange issues and changed the opti even though I wasn't throwing codes and it seemed to fix most of the issues. High rpms still had the slight misfire feeling but once I did the LTCC conversion I have a smooth idle and quicker throttle response per the butt-o-meter.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

LTCC conversion?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OPTI! Guaranteeeeee.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I the only one who read that he has *250K* on the factory opti?!? Was that a typo and its only 25k since you said the car has 100k?

LOL in this case I would say it is your opti. Honestly I would knock out a whole tune-up at once...opti, plugs, O2s, and wires
Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does have 250k on the opti, we carried it over from the old motor, actually the only thing I can think of that was carried over...

It completely quit acting dumb yesterday... it's completely fine now... odd...

I'll be gathering parts though... I've never really had any problems from my Taylor wires...
Old 09-11-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Could still be the opti, when mine started going it would run fine one day and then go back to running like crap
Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a vented or non-vented opti? You don't have the year posted in your sig, so we can't tell.
If you replace it (which I agree is the most likely culprit) you should go the vented route, even if it means a conversion.
And get the MSD 8.5 wires, top notch.
I would not touch the O2s until you did a scan on them to see if they are functioning correctly. If they are, leave them be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odd Issue, seeking help...