LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lifter question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter question.

i asked the end of last week about getting lifters for my engine, i ordered up the ls7 lifters. i was wondering if i should have ordered new pushrods aswell. i currently am running futral chrome moly pushrods, and 1.6 rr. do i need new pushrods or no?

another question, when installing the ls7 lifters do i need to let the lifters soak in oil before i install them or can i install them dry and they will pump up with oil, then go through and adjust my valves?

thanks guys, appreciate the help.
dan
Old 09-14-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iroc1793
i asked the end of last week about getting lifters for my engine, i ordered up the ls7 lifters. i was wondering if i should have ordered new pushrods aswell. i currently am running futral chrome moly pushrods, and 1.6 rr. do i need new pushrods or no?

another question, when installing the ls7 lifters do i need to let the lifters soak in oil before i install them or can i install them dry and they will pump up with oil, then go through and adjust my valves?

thanks guys, appreciate the help.
dan
The LS7s are direct replacement, so they shouldn't affect your overall pushrod length. But, there have been reports that the LS7s have a deeper cup than stock and require a slightly longer pushrod. IMO, it's best to just measure.

Fact of the matter is, the LS7s already have oil in them from the factory. I lubed up the bores and rollers, popped them in, primed the oil system, done.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thanks, ill double check them when i get them in the engine, and good to know that i can just put them in, i did a 460 with flat tappet lifters and they needed to be primed before hand, so thanks for the help!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Any new lifter should be soaked in a cleaner to remove sticky manufacturing lubricants. Then, you should soak them in oil.