LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No start issue still, intermittant, most of the time

Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start issue still, intermittant, most of the time

1997 camaro lt1 6spd.

So at this point, im ready to burn the car. Last night the car drove fine to the lady;s house, later that night when i went to go home, no start. Its been doing this every once in a while and ive been trying to track it down. Seems to not matter on engine temp, but the majority of the time its after the engines been run and i go to start it at a later time. ENGINE WAS STILL WARM when i went to leave.

I checked a couple things last night, as much as i could anyways.

Heres what ive done.

-First i took out the ignition box out of the system, running off of factory system which was working a few days ago when i tested it.

- Have not checked for fuel yet as i didnt have my guage, but i can most definitly smell it/will check that tonight

- Removed the ignition control module plug, tested for and found 10v+ on both terminals A and D as instructed per Shbox website

- Obeserved 1v sometimes a little more while cranking in ac scale on terminal b indicating the opti is sending signals to the pcm to fire the coil correct?

- Checked for spark at the plug wire, no spark

- Checked for spark at the coil wire, no spark

- At this point, all i have left is either the ignition control module, or the coil. The coil was replaced last summer with a msd unit, couldnt be any more then maybe 10,000km on it.

Do i seem to be on the right track thinking that its the ICM or the coil after all this, is there any other checks i can be doing to ensure its not the Opti completly?

Ive been throwing a P1371 code after it has its fit usually. Which indicates part of the opti i know, but the car runs like a top. Hot or cold, motor runs smooth. No misses, no lack of power, no backfires, NOTHING. Runs awesome. And as far as my knowledge allows, what i tested for last night proves that its not the opti correct?

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread