LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How do you know that a particular harmonic balancer is better than another?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you know that a particular harmonic balancer is better than another?

I'm looking at getting an upgraded harmonic balancer but was wondering how would you know if one is better than another. Can you actually feel your engine vibrating less? I wouldn't think so. With my lumpy 306 cam I'm almost positive I'm not going to know a difference.

Could you tell me why I should go with one over another? Also these don't have to be balance right? I just throw it on correct?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djm_e22
I'm looking at getting an upgraded harmonic balancer but was wondering how would you know if one is better than another. Can you actually feel your engine vibrating less? I wouldn't think so. With my lumpy 306 cam I'm almost positive I'm not going to know a difference.

Could you tell me why I should go with one over another? Also these don't have to be balance right? I just throw it on correct?
Well a fluiddampr or ATI damper is built to reduce stress on the snout of the shaft, its not just a peice of steel in a hub shape like the OEM stuff, a lot higher quality and it has a purpose.

And yes you just "throw it on" unless you arent internaly balanced.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Default Harmonic Balancers

On some externally balanced motors, the harmonic balancer plays a roll (it actually heavier on one side).

Just bolting one on will not (unless you get damn lucky) improve the balance of your motor.

To achieve the best balance - your pistons + rings+ pins need to all weight the same. Connecting rod big and little ends need to weigh the same. Now the part most forget, the crank needs to have throws that are 90 degs appart and the block's bores must also be 90 degrees apart.

At that point you can adjust the balance by removing or adding weight to the crank.

The harmonic balancer's job is a bit different. Imagine the crankshaft as a big torsion bar. As the back cylinders fire, the front may be on compression stroke. So internally the crank flexes one way. As the crank turns the force reverse. This variation in stress on the crank shaft causes all kinds of harmonics and in the extreme case will crack the crankshaft. Harmonic balancers prevent that.

The factory balancer is probably the best below 3000 rpm, where your engine spends 99.9% of its life. The Fluidic balancers tend to be a pretty good compromise for both low and high rpm, but if you are bolting stuff on to the balancer be careful, there are reports of supercharged owners (mostly Ford 5.0) getting a slight crack near the threads and leaking the fluid out. TCI is like a stock balancer the way you wish the stock balancer was built. SFI approval is something you need to watch... The "Rattler" is pretty much a high rpm only balancer. Leave that one for your weekend racer.

I will note that I have been corrected before about using the Fluidic balancer on the small blocks. Lots of people claiming no problems what so ever.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Well a fluiddampr or ATI damper is built to reduce stress on the snout of the shaft, its not just a peice of steel in a hub shape like the OEM stuff, a lot higher quality and it has a purpose.

And yes you just "throw it on" unless you arent internaly balanced.
there is some machine work required to install an ati damper
Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
there is some machine work required to install an ati damper
On what crank snout? Most aftermarket cranks have no issue with a dampner sliding on.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry just oem. i saw 355 but overlooked forged, he should be ok.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

I like my ATI better than the FluidAmpr I had.
Much easier to install IMHO.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of mod is needed for the ati balancer? i have one and am putting it on with the cam swap..
Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jarretthise
what kind of mod is needed for the ati balancer? i have one and am putting it on with the cam swap..
None, it presses onto the crank like any other balancer.
The one I bought happened to be keyed and 10% underdriven, so I used a shorter belt.
It comes with the washer you need to hold it in (standard SBC crank hub washer)
I like the ARP crank bolt, but you can use the stock one if you want to.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

How much would this arp bolt be? Can I get a link to the best deal James?

Sorry to the op if you feel I hijacked your thread. Just my ?s pertained to yours a bit and this thread made me think about my sitution
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

See that you have a forged crank James. My car doesn't. Just has stock. So what about now? Any modification required?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

How much would this arp bolt be? Can I get a link to the best deal James?

Sorry to the op if you feel I hijacked your thread. Just my ?s pertained to yours a bit and this thread made me think about my sitution
ARP PN 234-2503
http://www.google.com/products?sourc...-8&sa=N&tab=wf
You can sometimes find them on eBay cheaper. (no tax, free shipping)
Or have your local parts store order them in for you (free shipping)

See that you have a forged crank James. My car doesn't. Just has stock. So what about now? Any modification required?
None, same crank snout.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok thanks man. I appreciate the help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you know that a particular harmonic balancer is better than another?