LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

4 barrel EFI TB vs LSx TB w/elbow on a carb style single plane EFI intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4 barrel EFI TB vs LSx TB w/elbow on a carb style single plane EFI intake

I am not fan of of the stock LT1 intake with its short runners and uneven air distributiion.

I was thinking of using an Edelbrock or Professional Products carb single plane for EFI with a the long low profile Edebrock elbow(for the increased plenum volume) and a 90mm LSx type TB. But I have been reading on the web that guys have been getting 50+ RWHP gains by switching their OEM style TB's w/elbows for 4 barrel TB on their single plane intake. Besides the RWHP gains they say that they have been getting more HP and torque under the curve and also a much smoother running engine. Granted these are on built big cube motors but the principle still applies across the board.

So is this true??

If I am going to go the single plane intake route should I save up my pennies also for a 4 barrel TB with progressive linkage instead of the OEM type LTx or LSx TB with an (90 +degree) elbow.

I really came to appreciate the elegance of the carb style single plane intake manifold with its ability to keep ramming air into the engine and not have the different cylinders to rob air from one another and also have all cylinders feed off of the plenum from a common point. I know this set up has been applied to an all out race application but I think that there is a high performance street application can immensely benefit as well with the longer intake runners helping in low to midrange torque production.

How much more plenum volume you think I would gain over a stock LT1/LT4 intake?

I want to put this on a quaility budget rebuild of my '96 LT1 longblock. My goal is to make 420 RWHPand 400 RWTQ but with better low to mid torque than what the LTx intake can provide. My 9C1 has 3.73 gears, a cold air intake and plan to put 4 into1 long tube headers on a 3" dia exhaust (with 2.5" tailpipes) and an "x" pipe. I am also thinking of going to EFI Connection's LS1 PCM and coil-on-plug conversion.

B'klyn9C1
Brooklyn, NY
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an ltx expert by any means, but I'm pretty sure at minimum you're going to need a cam, possibly heads for a stock displacement lt1 to pull those kinds of numbers...and you could probably do it with an ltx style intake.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Launching!

I have a 82 caprice (two door) with a turbocharged LT1 that you might be interested in. Im in queens.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Directly answering your question of an elbow versus a 4 hole, the 4 hole is better hands down. You will get better driveability and probably better mileage as well, just due to better, more even air flow.

In regards to the LTx benefiting from it and at the power level you are talking about, I would say that you will be spending a lot of money for something that probably won't show significant gains.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moved from Advanced Tech to the LT1 section.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what you seek grasshoppa

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...-b-change.html

But on a Caprice a Holley Stealth Ram intake would do you better.

Quick Reply: 4 barrel EFI TB vs LSx TB w/elbow on a carb style single plane EFI intake