LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How Much Difference Do Tailpipes Make?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Much Difference Do Tailpipes Make?

How much of a difference do tailpipes make in exhaust volume? I ask because I had a tsp rumbler on my lt1 and was getting tired of it, pretty loud. I added some cherry bombs in the tail pipes and it did almost nothing. So I called Pypes exhaust and asked them if their Race Pro muffler would be quieter than my current setup. The guy said "yes, definitely. It won't be obnoxious like the rumbler". Plus they advertise it as " a mellow muffler that doesn't draw much attention at idle and low rpm cruising, but is louder upon acceleration", and " our quietest muffler".

Well I finally got the muffler, went to the muffler shop near work to have it installed but they didn't have the time to put the tailpipes and tips on, it's getting done tomorrow. I actually kept the 16" chambered muffler in the i-pipe just in case it would still be too loud for me with just the pypes race pro muffler. ......And it's just as loud, no, louder than the tsp rumbler. Is it because of the tailpipes or what? I'm pretty angry and confused right now, this wasn't cheap.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the exhaust is being directed to both sides of your car, rather than out back. because of that its still loud in your mind. the tailpipes will quiet it down to you a bit
Old 10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the tailpipes will get rid any drone or unwanted noise. i remember i had to drive around with my magnaflow catback without the last 20inches of tips on. It sounded completely different with the tips missing. since the exhaust was just going under the car instead of out the back. the drone was terrible

having the 20inches of pipe exiting out the rear of the car helped soo much.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, my dad said the same thing. Thanks guys, I'm at ease now.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, what a difference those tailpipes made. It's damn near perfect, but almost too quiet. I'll miss the rawness of my previous setup, and the sweet backpressure sound/pop when letting off the gas after acceleration.