LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Heater Core Restrictor Valve, Removal with EWP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core Restrictor Valve, Removal with EWP?

Can I safely remove the heater core restrictor valve since I have a Mezierre HD EWP installed? I believe that the restrictor purpose is to reduce flow to protect the heater core. The Mezierre should not turn as high of rpms as the stock mechaincal pump. Thoughts?

This is the second restrictor I have installed. The crappy plastic ones do not last and tend to leak.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics of said restrictor ?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZL1LT1
Pics of said restrictor ?
On my 95 LT1 vette it's closer to the heater core inlet but on this F-body diagram your can see it as #13.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Some people have removed it without reported problems, but long term issues may not be known.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Actually, the restrictor is to prevent overcooling via the heater core. The idea is that in extremely cold weather the heater running will prevent the motor from coming up to temp since the heater is on the bypass side, so it runs the real risk of overcooling the motor during the warmup phase. The restrictor is to make sure the motor comes up to temp as quickly as possible and due to the size of the heater core/piping it allows for adequate hot coolent flow to provide ample heat to the interior/defroster.

I may add that the reason the piping isn't smaller is because the higher volume of coolent has better thermal stability.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Mine broke when I was doing my H/C/I install, Just cut the hose and conected the two, Zero problems so far 3k since, although I am in the middle of deleting my complete hvac system.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Actually, the restrictor is to prevent overcooling via the heater core. The idea is that in extremely cold weather the heater running will prevent the motor from coming up to temp since the heater is on the bypass side, so it runs the real risk of overcooling the motor during the warmup phase. The restrictor is to make sure the motor comes up to temp as quickly as possible and due to the size of the heater core/piping it allows for adequate hot coolent flow to provide ample heat to the interior/defroster.

I may add that the reason the piping isn't smaller is because the higher volume of coolent has better thermal stability.
This may be the only answer I've received so far as to it's real function. Did this come from a reliable source? I don't think I'm quite fully understanding the function of the restrictor and how it prevents overcooling though.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
This may be the only answer I've received so far as to it's real function. Did this come from a reliable source? I don't think I'm quite fully understanding the function of the restrictor and how it prevents overcooling though.

Thanks
IDK. I've never heard that expanation before.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
IDK. I've never heard that expanation before.
Me neither.

Well I decided to delete it today. I was in Autozone for something else and I picked up some heater hose while I was there. I now just have one solid piece 3/8th's hose going from the water pump housing to the heater inlet. I guess we'll see what happens. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know. I'm mostly concerned about the heater core. I'll keep an eye on the temps. At least the leak is gone. Back to the LSU/Georgia game. Go Tigers!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

not heard about the over cooling thing but can understand that point. My "understanding" on the restrictor valve is to keep pressure down going to heater core since it's core pipe is small and to much pressure can cause leaks in the heater core.

GM or any car manufacturer will not spend $.02 on a part if they don't have to so my sense is it has a valid purpose.

YMMV

Quick Reply: Heater Core Restrictor Valve, Removal with EWP?