LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ai 200cc CNC H/C Dyno, A4, 425rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have it set up just right then for the 1/4 mile with those shift points and trap rpm. Are you going to leave us hanging or tell us what it ran? Congrats on the #s. Rick
Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

see my sig. that's with a poor starting line and a weak 1.59 60'. I'm expecting about 1.52 with good track prep.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bowtienut
see my sig. that's with a poor starting line and a weak 1.59 60'. I'm expecting about 1.52 with good track prep.
Sorry about that, I missed it. Very nice. I too, am looking forward to some better 60's, but it's going to take a converter re-stall to get there. Best so far is a 1.59 and an average of 1.62s.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is running real good man!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Very impressive!

I find those numbers extremely hard to believe and honestly don't really believe them but judging on your track times they do match up so I don't know what to think lol. You never see mild heads/cam LT1's on stock bottom ends put out 425rwhp through stalled autos. Those are numbers I have typically seen with folks running the same setup but through 6-speeds from Ai. I'm not hating at all I just feel like something is seriously being left out unless some tricks were performed that the average joe doesn't typically do which could squueze out some extra power. So, if I were to simply swap to Ai 200cc's and the same cam I would dyno 425rwhp which is 40rwhp more than my LE2's and 22x/23x cam? Doubtful as hell. Again, I'm not calling out just finding it hard to believe and assuming its legit that is extremely impressive and hats off to all involved!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Impressive, and the track numbers back up the HP, imagine that...

Guess AI isnt padding their numbers as implied by the clown stating "I'm not calling bs" when thats EXACTLY what he was doing... Lame.

Good work guys. I would be an ecstatically happy customer to have a B-body pulling low 11's with a stock ci mild build such as this, and I'm sure he is.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The track numbers are more impressive then the dyno numbers.

With the same 60' I was ET'ing 11.7 and trapping 115. Cam was probably extremely similar as well (custom 227/233).

To sum it up, those heads beat the hell out of my old local shop ported stockers .
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

The thing I dont get is there a lot of much lighter cars, with bigger cams and the same heads + stroker motor running not much faster. Either the heads arent the same or b-body's just run great. Could be in the cam also i guess.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Impressive, and the track numbers back up the HP, imagine that...

Guess AI isnt padding their numbers as implied by the clown stating "I'm not calling bs" when thats EXACTLY what he was doing... Lame.

Good work guys. I would be an ecstatically happy customer to have a B-body pulling low 11's with a stock ci mild build such as this, and I'm sure he is.
I never said they padded anything and I gave plenty of props. I clearly said I was not calling BS but rather was challenging the numbers since they are pretty high for a stalled A4 350ci.

Dont bend my statements out of context, I was very specific in what I said. I knew it was only a matter of time before some tool creeped in and started the attacks.

And he was right........2nd time to the track and I'm already shifting at 6900 and trapping at 7100.
The one thing that has me scratching my head is the 22x cam that wants to be shifted at 6900 RPM and is trapping at 7100RPM. Hell if this were a M6, the dyno numbers would be freakishly high. Who wants to take a guess at those?

The numbers are outstanding. If you guys consider them typical, so be it. Props to AI.

Last edited by wrd1972; 10-20-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is exactly what most people miss. Straight from AI's OP message.

"It is an excellent example of what this setup will typically do when properly setup and tuned."

Ive read too many people who have build stroker engines making less than 425hp you can kind of get the idea why.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Very impressive!

I find those numbers extremely hard to believe and honestly don't really believe them but judging on your track times they do match up so I don't know what to think lol. You never see mild heads/cam LT1's on stock bottom ends put out 425rwhp through stalled autos. Those are numbers I have typically seen with folks running the same setup but through 6-speeds from Ai. I'm not hating at all I just feel like something is seriously being left out unless some tricks were performed that the average joe doesn't typically do which could squueze out some extra power. So, if I were to simply swap to Ai 200cc's and the same cam I would dyno 425rwhp which is 40rwhp more than my LE2's and 22x/23x cam? Doubtful as hell. Again, I'm not calling out just finding it hard to believe and assuming its legit that is extremely impressive and hats off to all involved!
I found the #'s hard to believe at first too..but I'm right at the 400rwh with a rather small AI cam. A larger one could put you close to his #'s for sure.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A question no one has asked is was the converter locked up or not? If so wouldn't this be the reason the numbers are so impressive since there would be no slip with the converter?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Even a locked converter a4 will dyno lower than an M6. Would have helped reduce the loss though for sure.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
May want to re-read that a couple times
lol, gotta love the senseless use of a double negative.

I meant to say every AI car I've seen dynoed has yet to put less than 400rwhp down.

and I'm pretty confident the 425rwhp was through a locked converter. a similar car with a loose unlocked converter would be lucky to put down 380rwhp. seen it in person actually.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone provide an explanation on locked and unlocked converters.

Does the PCM command the stall to lock up at a certain condition right after a launch?
Why would one even bother to dyno with the stall unlocked?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

To my understanding most tuners leave it unlocked except in OD because a big hp car would shred the stall on the track if it locked.

If you have a nice triple disk converter that can take the abuse of locking you could lock it in 3rd to bring the trap rpms down, but locking it right off the line would negate the whole purpose of a stall.

And no way is locking the conv worth 45 hp, more like 20.

Jmho
Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Can someone provide an explanation on locked and unlocked converters.

Does the PCM command the stall to lock up at a certain condition right after a launch?
Why would one even bother to dyno with the stall unlocked?
Been a while since I played with it but the stock computer tells the stall to lockup around 43mph IIRC. You can raise this lockup command speed or disable(255 it)...different cars and combos like different settings. Some people dyno unlocked simply for the fact that they have non-lockup stalls that cannot be locked. Great for acceleration, not soo good for cruising and gas mileage .

Some cars can gain a bit by running unlocked then locking it on the top end, others can lose ET while gaining mph, and others still can show no difference at all. Only way to be sure is to test your particular combo.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Nice dude... another b body puttin down some power.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Converter was locked

The converter was locked. That should be evident by observing the torque curve at low rpm's.
And to the questions about locked versus unlocked power numbers:
Experience with (2) Yank and (1) Vigilante converters I've had on the dyno showed ZERO statistical difference, I'm talking within 1 hp!, locked vs unlocked at peak hp. The lower the rpm, the more difference you will see.
With a less efficient converter than the two brands mentioned, I've seen a 25 hp difference at peak hp with the stock LT1 in the same car, peak power at 5250 rpm.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Obviously, these numbers are well above the frey for a 22x cam. I will fully admit that AI has some bad *** stuff, but at some point the numbers become so impressive that one should properly question them and IMHO, this is one of those cases. I am not calling BS here, but I think there is a wild card in this setup or measurement.

The fact of the matter is that there is not another ported GM LT1 head that has been better documented than our offerings. Moreover, when the majority of the highest HP and quickest/fastest NA cars run the same parts, it paints a pretty clear picture. Quite frankly, there is not a readily available head that is comparable or competitive in regards to performance or consistency. That has been the case for the better part of the past decade. Whether or not they represent a good value for an individual is subjective, but the potential and consistency has been documented to death. Some simply choose to ignore the data.

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey

another job well done!
Thank you very much, we do have a good many customers in KY.

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Very impressive!

I find those numbers extremely hard to believe and honestly don't really believe them but judging on your track times they do match up so I don't know what to think lol. You never see mild heads/cam LT1's on stock bottom ends put out 425rwhp through stalled autos. Those are numbers I have typically seen with folks running the same setup but through 6-speeds from Ai. I'm not hating at all I just feel like something is seriously being left out unless some tricks were performed that the average joe doesn't typically do which could squueze out some extra power.
The converter is locked, so it isn't going to be far off of an M6 #. Again, because we offer the most consistent ported cylinder head available, as well as the most consistent cams (100% in house QC), the guys making 420-430 on stock short block cars are the best example of the potential of the parts. Many of the guys posting results online have some sort of issue that needs to be worked out, regardless of what parts they run. The guys who run the #'s get the car "right." As far as your car goes, it looks like you have done a good job on the setup, running into the 11's at 114. Our average stock short block cars trap 117-119 w/ the faster cars running low 120's and the fastest at 131 NA.

The one thing that has me scratching my head is the 22x cam that wants to be shifted at 6900 RPM and is trapping at 7100RPM. Hell if this were a M6, the dyno numbers would be freakishly high. Who wants to take a guess at those?

The numbers are outstanding. If you guys consider them typical, so be it. Props to AI.
What is perplexing about shifting around 7? The #'s wouldn't be much higher, maybe 10-15? We don't worry about it too much, the car is what it is, and really only needs to impress on track. Thank you for the kind words, but competent labor from Mike and Pat is what ensures these setups realize the potential we sell.

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
I found the #'s hard to believe at first too..but I'm right at the 400rwh with a rather small AI cam. A larger one could put you close to his #'s for sure.
Glad things are working out for you.

The converter was locked. That should be evident by observing the torque curve at low rpm's.
And to the questions about locked versus unlocked power numbers:
Experience with (2) Yank and (1) Vigilante converters I've had on the dyno showed ZERO statistical difference, I'm talking within 1 hp!, locked vs unlocked at peak hp. The lower the rpm, the more difference you will see.
With a less efficient converter than the two brands mentioned, I've seen a 25 hp difference at peak hp with the stock LT1 in the same car, peak power at 5250 rpm.
Thank you again for your hard work! Because you understand what's happening we can actually use your data. Few things are as amusing as the guys who hit the converter on the dyno & try to convince everyone their engine produces 600rwtq and 360rwhp.

It really needs to be said again, yes these are the typical results when the engine is properly tuned/adjusted. These #'s, like all of the outrageous #'s our customers work to put up, are all perfectly valid examples of the potential we make readily available to the market.

Glad you guys like it, thanks for the kind words.

Quick Reply: Ai 200cc CNC H/C Dyno, A4, 425rwhp