LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Idle's really high after low oil pressure and SES light comes on!!! LOST

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle's really high after low oil pressure and SES light comes on!!! LOST

Ok so my oil pressure drops after extreme accelaration and then the service engine light came on and then the car idled at about 2500 even at a complete stop, weirded me out because this has never happened before. Even in park it stay's high as hell. Normally when I start the car it sits about 750-800. Mad tuner tuned the PCM for my new 355 setup.....Not sure why the hell this would do this but would the computer have something to do with this since the light came on and it thought it had no oil pressure. I know I need to do a mechanical oil pressure gauge which I am doing. Just waitng for it to show up. When I Install my new one will I just dosconnect my stock sending unit behind the intake so the computer apparently wont read it as being faulty. Something is up with the this freak show of a car! Thanks steve

Last edited by 94BlueZ28; 10-31-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PCM doesn't read the oil pressure. Sounds like you have a fairly large vacuum leak causing the high idle.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

my bet is on vac leak and the mass air flow is freaking out throwing the code
and if your oil press dropped at high rpm that generally means you sucked the pan dry/pickup tube fell off or you just fried the bearings but if it still runs normalish ie no grinding knocking or other such noises your bearings have not spun yet so you should be ok on that

is it a stock oil pump?
O and check your oil level!!!!! seems stupid but it happens more often then you think
Old 11-01-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camaroz28383
my bet is on vac leak and the mass air flow is freaking out throwing the code
and if your oil press dropped at high rpm that generally means you sucked the pan dry/pickup tube fell off or you just fried the bearings but if it still runs normalish ie no grinding knocking or other such noises your bearings have not spun yet so you should be ok on that

is it a stock oil pump?
O and check your oil level!!!!! seems stupid but it happens more often then you think
I checked the oil right before I took it out, dipstick is perfect with clean *** oil! It is a new melling pump that the machine shop installed! They welded the pickup on, if the pick up fell of then it wouldn't be running around 70psi when I start it then would it? I mean the pressure stays up until it gets warm! Hell it stays up until I mash the gas actually! The idle thing throws me though, I've drove it now roughly 150 miles and it has never acted like this and I've never done anything different! I did cap off to vaccum lines last night that I had found but The one was plugged off at the intake already but the actually vacuum line wasn't capped and the other was over by where my Evaporator used to be! I capped them off to be safe I guess but not sure if they had an affect yet or not! The one that went to the intake is on the passenger side and it is coming out of the main wiring harness. Not sure what it's actually coming from but I know I do not have it on the intake anymore....Talking with folks on here they told me to get rid of certain ones when I was getting rid of all my emissions and that crap that I didn't need. I may have to take a few pics and post them on here to show what I'm talking about. So when I install this new gauge, do I just disco the stock sending unit all together then? I'm most likely going to install the new gauge from the port right above the oil filter....Just not sure how the sock one would effect things being disco'd! I would imagine it would throw a code right, it ties in some how or the check engine light wouldn't come on when it drops that low! Damn car!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

first of all the oil pressure sensor has absolutely NOTHING to do with a check engine light only a check gages light which sends no information to the PCM when you disconnect it it will just sit at 0 and you do not need to unplug it to check it with a manual gage the pcm has no idea its even there

with the evap lines and stuff you capped yes that would cause a high idle but I'm not sure it would cause it to be as extreme as your experiencing

the pickup might be installed to high causing it to run out of oil it can suck in but would still show full on the dip one way to troubleshoot that is to put extra oil in it don't know how much extra you can put in it before its to full but I'd imagine an extra quart would be ok then drive it like you stole it and see if it still does it
is the pump a high volume????
yes it could show good pressure with a pick up tube that fell of at low rpm it happened to somebody on one of the forums I forget which but if its welded then I hope it didn't fall off
Old 11-01-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

I talked to the machinist before I got home the other day for like 45 minutes and he said that it was a melling pump but wasn't the HV! He explained to me some stuff about the pump and pros and cons of both and he said that he has seen thousand hp motors running normal oil pumps! He stated that clearances where not an issue by any means. They have every thing to the thousands of an inch or some **** which was with bearings and all that good stuff! I can get the exact measurement for the depth of the oil pump pickup from them if this helps, He did tell me but I forgot, it was 3 weeks ago I talked to them when I was in texas. Good to be home but of course a car that sits for a month always seems to have issues when you go back to fire it later....At least mines does. Hell my red top battery was low and I had to jump the bitch. Should of known that was a sign right off the bat, lol!

Ok so wait do I not want the evap lines capped? I just capped them yesterday after looking under the hood again. Everything looks good....I pretty much pulled that whole damn box contraption right out of the passenger side firewall, having a few little things there as far as vacuum line. I figured it was all for that **** that was gone. So I may have abigger issue not knowing what the hell is gone, ****!!!!It has to be the damn gauge tripping ballskies! Everything is brand new for christ sake, lol! **** does go wrong though. Ken and Rob, the machinist told me that my bearings where hardend race bearings and that there was no way in hell that they where shot.....Not sure at this point other than to install the new gauge and then to fire it up and take it for a ride and see what happens! Where do you all suggest to install it! I'm thinking the plug right above the oil filter! Not sure I can get to my stock sending unit bullshit because my forearms are to big, I would have to remove the intake to think about getting to it! All advice is greatful, thanks guys!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

when I asked about a HV pump I was not referring that u need one its just that you are more prone to suck the pan dry with a hv with a stock pan since its only what 4.5 quarts
even if they say that its at the pickups at the proper depth doesn't mean is perfectly flat or set right no matter how good a builder is something will go wrong sometime just saying
its just that the only reason you should ever loose pressure at high rpm is bad bearings(which is probably not your problem) pickup to high /fell off or pan got sucked dry
yes you want the evap lines capped I kinda worded it weird
if you install it above the oil filter it will show slightly higher but that is the easy place to go and will work fine
Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camaroz28383
when I asked about a HV pump I was not referring that u need one its just that you are more prone to suck the pan dry with a hv with a stock pan since its only what 4.5 quarts
even if they say that its at the pickups at the proper depth doesn't mean is perfectly flat or set right no matter how good a builder is something will go wrong sometime just saying
its just that the only reason you should ever loose pressure at high rpm is bad bearings(which is probably not your problem) pickup to high /fell off or pan got sucked dry
yes you want the evap lines capped I kinda worded it weird
if you install it above the oil filter it will show slightly higher but that is the easy place to go and will work fine
Awesome I appreciate the advice and I will be installing the gauge this upcoming weekend!, I'll most likely take it out tomorrow just for a little cruise to see if the idle thing has fixed itself.....I know there is oil flowing because I had oil shooting out my filter that was on the valve cover that replaced the regular insert oil here cap thing, maybe not shooting out but I removed the plastic piece in the center thinking I can dump my oil in faster not thinking that it was made this way to keep the oil from splashing up, yeah it leaked a drop or 2 from the filter down onto the passenger side header. What can I say the K&N filter tube peice looked like it prefereated plastic sanp here looking thing down inside it. Took care of that issue though. I know oil is moving but of course the gauge reads 0-5 PSI and then the check gauges light comes on and the car acts retarded as hell. Anyway's my new autometer phantom mechanical oil pressure gauge, dynomax race bullets and turndowns should be here Tuesday so I'll be getting started with the gauge first thing. I'll let you know how things go
Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why don't you scan it for whatever code it's setting? Lots of people lately have been ignoring this simple diagnostic step.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Why don't you scan it for whatever code it's setting? Lots of people lately have been ignoring this simple diagnostic step.
Very true! I'll see what I get!

Quick Reply: Idle's really high after low oil pressure and SES light comes on!!! LOST