LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 Z28 running bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Z28 running bad

OK my grandparents have a 94 Z28 auto. Its stock with the exception of a flowmaster muffler. Last spring it developed a bad miss. They carried it to a shop and the shop told them that the entire firing system was bad and needed replaced. So they had the opti, plugs, and wires changed. It cost them $1600 which was a total rip off. The car ran good for about a month or so then started missing again. When i drove the car it seems that it does it worse at low rpm. When i held the car back in 3rd it ran ok but when it hit 4th it started sputtering and missing. Sometimes it runs fine when its first started and others it runs bad to start with. I would run the codes but it being a 94 it wont run the codes in the usual way, you have to have a program to read them off. Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 PM

yeah man thats is a RIP OFF. it seem like its still the opti they tend to go bad alot. mine started missing once and i knew it was the opti so i replaced it and its still working. total cost 130 bucks. i replaced it my self to since working on cars on the weekend is how i make some extra cash. so you might want to replace it and dont ever wash the motor if you do try to cover the opti. because if some water gets in there it will build up humidity inside and will start to miss. i think thats what happent to mine when i washed it and was getting it ready for a show after the show it started to miss. you can buy one on ebay for a cheap price or you can spend about 200 hundred on a new one at autozone with lifetime warranty.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Time for an LS1 style Coil conversion??
Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Teching In

@ polywod - I replaced the opti in my formula twice lol. The first time after i got it all back together one of the small water pump lines started leaking and killed it so i had to pull it right back apart and replace it again lol. I went with an autozone opti in mine so it didnt cost anything to replace it the second time lol.

@ baalic - Havent heard of that one. I havent really read much about mods llike that but that sounds like something i would want to do to my WS6. Enlighten me?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

I would recheck the plug wires, seeing that it started only a month after the change it could be they routed one in a bad way and got burnt up on the exhaust
Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is how my car drove as a result of arcing plug wires:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFakrFLVV0

I had problems with Taylors and MSDs. went back to delco's and have been problem free.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have any info myself, but I read somewhere of someone doing this. It may have been somewhere on this forum or on the z28 forum.... Someone else on here on a recent post got a LS1 ecm to work on an LT...maybe that's a start...I'm not an expert on electrical, most of my skills are...tell me what part is broke and ill replace kinda stuff....
Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 AM
Teching In

I will check the plug wires when i get a chance. I didnt even think anything about one or two being run wrong. If they are fine i will look into the opti. Thanks =)

@ baalic - Im the same as you when it comes to electronics. I can do everything else but all that just loses me.

Quick Reply: 94 Z28 running bad