LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem

Hey guys ive done some searching around, for similiar issues. and i didnt really see where anyone had found an answer.

My car has problems when trying to idle, the car will start up, run for a few seconds idle low around 5-600 rpms, and then quit. the car will stay running if i keep my foot on the gas pedal, it seems to be fine. when the car was running it seemed to puff alittle smoke when it was having problem trying to idle. When i shut the car off, i noticed that number 7 cylinder seemed colder then the rest of them. could i be that it is not firing, and this is causing my idle problem?

i have yet to do a spark test, should be doing that later today.
i have yet to spray around with starter fluid to see if i have a vacuum leak.

over the summer, i have installed:
new delphi opti
new gm timing set
new gm maf, tps, map
new ls7 lifters
new water pump

i dont have many miles on the car, since i have completed it and got it running, but one thing after another it seems, and i am hoping this is the last thing.

the last known code i had was for a map sensor circuit high.
last time i checked the fuel pressure was right around 45psi i believe.

i have yet to do a spark test, should be doing that later today.
i have yet to spray around with starter fluid to see if i have a vacuum leak.

any help or tips of where to look next would be great.
thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nowhere in this thread do you mention the IAC (idle air controller). That's responsible for setting idle speed. Do you have access to a scanner so that you can monitor your IAC counts?

Also, I would suggest getting a fuel pressure gauge on the rail to determine if your fuel pump is on it's way out. Stop throwing parts at it.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Nowhere in this thread do you mention the IAC (idle air controller). That's responsible for setting idle speed. Do you have access to a scanner so that you can monitor your IAC counts?

Also, I would suggest getting a fuel pressure gauge on the rail to determine if your fuel pump is on it's way out. Stop throwing parts at it.
i diagnosed it needing a new opti spark over the summer when i had a no start, so while i was there i did the new timing set, and water pump so it would all be new. that made the most sense to me.

my tps had a dead spot in it, when i would test it my voltage would increase, then my meter would read OL.

i had a couple collapsed lifters that was why those were replaced aswell.

i can check it here at school with a GM tech 2, last time i had my instructor help me check the iac counts with tech 2, and everything appeared to be fine.

how else should i go about checking my IAC, any input would be great. i have the resources to use a tech 2 anytime.

Quick Reply: idle problem