LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HID's on a 97 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID's on a 97 Firebird

Hey guys i just recently put a set of HIDs on my car along with a set of ebay diamond cut headlights. The lights are bright as heck, but the headlights dont seem to do a good job focusing the headlights. My factory silverstars were by far no comparison but focused into a central location and illuminated the surroundings. It just seems these new headlight housings kind of "throw" the light out there in a foggyish fashion. If that makes any sense...

http://img687.imageshack.us/g/1010382.jpg/

heres a link the first 2 and the last one are from my car and the others are from my gf 01 honda civic with the same exact hid kit. The honda headlights are stock and mine are the diamond cut h4 conversion headlights. Do keep in mind the honda was at about my rear bumper next to me and it illuminates probably about another 10 to 15 feet more then mine do. I have tried to adjust them and all it does is aim the light outward obstructing other drivers.

I was just wondering what housings everyone has gone with and the kind of results you guys have had.
Thanks
Devin

Last edited by ~BuMps AloT~; 11-06-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

post some pics
Old 11-06-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL i Can prolly manage that!!! Give me a couple minutes!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://img687.imageshack.us/g/1010382.jpg/

heres a link the first 2 and the last one are from my car and the others are from my gf 01 honda civic with the same exact hid kit. The honda headlights are stock and mine are the diamond cut h4 conversion headlights. Do keep in mind the honda was at about my rear bumper next to me and it illuminates probably about another 10 to 15 feet more then mine do. I have tried to adjust them and all it does is aim the light outward obstructing other drivers.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

The ebay housings are not "true" projectors. I have them in my car also Devin, and they do the same thing. You cannot find a "true" projector for our cars without spending around 2-300 dollars. There is a write up on making your own housings however.

Either way, my 6000K HID's and my ebay housings are 10000000000000x better than the factory crap.

Oh, and FYI, I believe Julie's Honda has a factory projector type of headlight. Shayla's Mazda is the same way, after I put HID's in her car they look way better than mine and they have a very distinct cutoff point.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i hear ya on the part about them not being focused too well
just put mine in this week also and they dont really have too great of a cutoff... like its not blinding by any means... they look good and all but they sure arent focused like a sealed beam regular replacement
Old 11-07-2009, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

well yours seems to focus better than mine do. Mine just seem to light up everything. I have just the standard Ebay housings and not the "projector" ones
Old 11-07-2009, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Im actually in the process of putting hids x 4 in my car. luckly i work at a bodyshop and have taken some hids out of wrecked cars and headlights that we have replaced. im using the projectors out of a 3000gt and some other car. putting some seam sealer on the joining areas and custom mounts. im not sure yet on the headlights though. as i want to keep my high beams im going to have to squeeze two projectors into the headlight area. so i actually need 6 projectors and 4 hids probuly use normal bulbs for high beam. i put a set on my bravada and man what a difference! you can probuly go to a junk yard or find someone in the bodyshop business....maybe i can send ya some projectors lol. good luck!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Justin, I looked at them projector ones that you have been talking about but just didnt like the look of them, but if they illuminate better then I will be switching. Do you think that the lighting from your headlight housings vs. mine are similar? Which ones better?

And by the way. The 6000k headlights in our trucks are simply amazing!!!! I had both high and low beam sylvania silverstars in my truck. It is night and day difference! I just replaced the low beams and kept the silverstar highs. The lows are way brighter then the highs. I went from driving my truck to driving my car, and my trucks headlights are so much better focused and reach out a lot further then both my car and Julies car. Possibly due to the higher stance of the pickup vs the car.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

What i liked most about my silverstars vs the hid's was that the silverstars focused tons better. Although they were a lot dimmer. Do you guys know if it would be feasible to cut into a set of stock sealed been and allow them to accept a h4 bulb? Anyone do this?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tossed HIDs in my stock housings. Best $50 I've spent for lighting.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ~BuMps AloT~
Thanks for the reply Justin, I looked at them projector ones that you have been talking about but just didnt like the look of them, but if they illuminate better then I will be switching. Do you think that the lighting from your headlight housings vs. mine are similar? Which ones better?

And by the way. The 6000k headlights in our trucks are simply amazing!!!! I had both high and low beam sylvania silverstars in my truck. It is night and day difference! I just replaced the low beams and kept the silverstar highs. The lows are way brighter then the highs. I went from driving my truck to driving my car, and my trucks headlights are so much better focused and reach out a lot further then both my car and Julies car. Possibly due to the higher stance of the pickup vs the car.
Mine and yours look similar. And yes you can cut into the stock housings to put in H4 bulbs.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Launching!

look for a device called casper electronic glare shields. Let me see if i can find a link to one. If you could find one, i don't think it would be to hard to duplicate.

Here is what they look like, these would help produce a better beam on our cars.

Last edited by Nite_Hawk; 11-10-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually my DDM H4 HID kit has them metal reflectors just like that.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used 165mm Hella free-form housings which worked the best of any halogen housing with a drop in HID kit. I would look them up and give them a try. I did all this before eventually stepping up to a true bi-xenon projector retrofit.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the response. And i will look into them! Wanna make me a set of projectors? lol!!! I saw your post. They turned out great! I am in no way that good with making things like these!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ~BuMps AloT~
Thanks for the response. And i will look into them! Wanna make me a set of projectors? lol!!! I saw your post. They turned out great! I am in no way that good with making things like these!!!
I am working on a simple to install kit but it's def. on the back burner unfortunately. I need to build a simple vacuum forming table before I can really get things going. Hopefully I'll get some time now that winter is just about here and I won't really play with the cars much.

Quick Reply: HID's on a 97 Firebird