LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

V8 s10

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 s10

Evenin'!

First post, so go easy with the flame throwers.

I'm an electrical engineer (ex submariner) in the Seattle area, and I've got three vehicles: 2001 Stratus 4 door, 2003 GSXR 750, and a 1996 S10. I'm about to add a fourth, an 1990 Suburban 2500 4x4, as a ski rig. I've been through the newbie post and some of the recent stuff, so I hope I'm not repeating too much that's already been covered.

To date, I've got this on the 1996 4.3L 2WD Regular cab:
Baer track brake system
2"/3" drop
Powertrax LSD
F&R sway bars
intake & exhaust
SCAT procar seats, custom center console, steering wheel, B&M ratchet shifter
Poly bushings all around (noisy as hell)
255/40/17 wheels & tires

I picked up a 1996 LT1 Vette motor & 4L60E trans for $950 and the engine looks pretty clean. I got everything off of it, down to the heads. I need to find a shop in the area (suggestions?) and send the bottom end.

Now it's decision time. I definitely plan on a T-56, but those are proving hard to find in the used market. I may settle on a T-5.

I'm looking at this for a top end kit.

The question is, do I rebuild the bottom end, or just have it cleaned up? If I rebuild the bottom end, wouldn't it make sense just to stroke it? Could I run a Scat or Eagle bottom end, similar to this? Would that work with the top end?

This will have to be a streetable vehicle; I plan on passing emissions with it. Am I out in la-la land?

I got the computers and wiring harness that went with the engine in the first place; are they going to work with my BCM? How's that wiring gonig to be?

Thanks for your thoughts!
You can follow the build here.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

first what hp & tq numbers are you looking for. If you stroke it you will need a large cam to maximize your hp you may not be able to pass emissions/be very streetable. you could do a 355 stock crank and send your heads to http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html and do the LE2 set up and produce 410hp with supporting mods. And add a little NO2 if its not fast enough.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Teching In

I was hoping to make 400 to the wheels, and didn't think I'd be able to do it with a stock LT1 bottom. Yes, absolutely has to be emissions legal. The LE2s on that website look pretty spot on, even without the 355 crank. I'll probably give them a call.

Any other suggestions, either for the LT1 setup or for an S10 install?

Quick Reply: V8 s10