LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What can i do to get more power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can i do to get more power?

Okay so i got my car running again and ive had a bit of success and i LOVE IT. Tore up a modded S197 Mustang GT, some ricer in a modded VW Golf GTI, and a Toyota TT Supra.
My car is a 1994 Z28 Convertible A4. 45k mi orig mi, rebuilt motor. New bearings, rings, and all that stuff. Stock crank, rods, pistons, & pushrods. New lifters, GM LT4 hotcam kit with the supplied 1.6RRs, LE1 heads with some springs LLoyd said are better for the hotcam kit than the supplied "LT4" springs (but not the Crane's), Mr Gasket head gaskets (the thin ones), Paceseter mid tubes, Cat delete, Hooker catback, AIR, and EGR delete. SLP CAI, 1LE elbow, stock MAF, stock intake manifold, stock TB, TB bypass, NGK TR55's gapped at .035, taylor 8mm plug wires, stock opti, MSD Blaster Coil, and a MadZ Tune.

The car has the stock 2.73 gears in it right now and i have a set of Richmond 3.73 gears for a 2 series carrier i still have yet to install. I have the factory stall converter, the big B&M transmission cooler, and the stock steel drive shaft.

Ive been kicking around the idea of getting one of those air foils. People say they dont help and its a waste of money but im thinking it could help a little at rolling speeds. Im also kind of looking at a stall aswel.. I hear this can help off the line a bit but ill be honest i know nothing about those, and i would not know what one to get. I now that Yank and Vigilante are talked highly of. But what rpm's?

Please dont reccomend me a new cam... I know i could get more performance out of a new bigger one... I just dont want to do the work on it right now.

Another thing im wondering about is intake manifold... With the LE1 heads and the hotcam being smaller would i actually benefit at all porting the intake?

N2O is another thing im looking at.. Lloyd gave me an estimate off my mods list of 360 rwhp. I hear the stock 10 bolt rear is good for about 400 rwhp, and nitrous can be rough on automatics.. Is this something i should stay away from? Or is this something i should be looking more into?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put in a Yank or Vig 3600 stall and the gears. That should keep you happy for a while. Also A4s are pretty easy on 10bolts. M6s not so much.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Like AChotrod said gears & stall will make a big difference....Then look a some lower control arms.PHB,torque arm/relocation & sub frame connectors.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

As stated above, get your gears in, 3600 Vig or Yank, and full suspension. You should be happy with how the car is running then.

You could have LE port your intake and then get a 58mm TB. I'm sure that would add a bit of power too. (More than your Air foil)

As far as nitrous, I'll let guys who actually have it comment on that
Old 12-12-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

well, that sounds like a good start...just keep the mods going and you will reach your 400rwhp goal.. just be ready for lots of frustrations and broken parts along the way..
Old 12-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Nitrous will be the biggest gain. But the gear and stall will be plus. With an auto I would say the ten bolt will holdout for quite a while. I would say with nitrous mid 11's would be easy.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:42 PM

like stated above about the stall with gears, after installing my 4.10s it made a differnts but after about a month we installed the a 3600 yank and wow, picked up three tenths at the track. Also the 10bolt in my car is holding up to more then 400hp and its been doing so for along time. As stated above with your mods and a small shot 11's would be easy on good tires
Old 12-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Restricted User

i agree taht the stall and gears will give you great results, if you are on more of a budget the fuddel 3600 might be a good stall for you. i have one behind my le2 car and i love it. should be a good setup for you.
good luck
Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Launching!

get that air foil.. u will make 30hp right off the bat.....................

ummm no i was kidding... airfoil is not worth it dont spend ur money on that ****. im sure sooner or later u will get a aftermarket tb and they have one on it. i would do like what everyone else stated, converter and a gear and then focus on suspension stuff. one thing i did notice is you have mid tube headers, if money is an issue and u took ur car to get the headers installed than i wouldnt bother. but if you know how to do headers urself id def. go with longtubes and then just sell your midtubes to get some money back. also u have heads and a cam so id ditch the stock 48mm throttle body as well and get a 52mm.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stall, gears, and nitrous the airfoil would be good for the nitrous if you decide to add it.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

if you dont have emissions testing you can upgrade those mids for long tubes

Quick Reply: What can i do to get more power?