LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam and supporting mods question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i guess the words "hot cam" lose a lot of support haha...
question though... because its coming down to crunch time and i am really debating what i want to do and just cant put my head on what i want to do... so i have a few more questions...

first of all - hot cam vs cc503... am i going to notice just as much of a problem with it pulling the brakes and just driveability issues with the cc503 as i am the hot cam? because the more i think about it now... the hot cam kit is $600, and that includes shitty springs that i really dont even want to risk putting on it, so i planned on buying the vs2700 springs anyway because they are a cheap and secure upgrade... so that basically puts me at about $730 for the hotcam kit, whereas i know i can put together a cc503 package for around that price also...

second question - how long can i expect a torque converter, like "the driver" performabuilt TC, to last? not that i am doubting performabuilt at all... just wondering if that would suffice for what i am trying to get this car to do, which is last quite a while without having to be all pulled out and reworked

third question - i'm pretty sure this is correct, but don't the 94's have hardened pushrods from the factory? and won't they be good enough to use, especially out of this motor i'm getting with 27k miles on it.. because i know this isn't going to fly with most ppl in here, but with being on the budget i am on and talking to a few people that have had good luck with them, i think i am just going to run NSA rocker arms... or would it be worth it even if i do run SA arms to buy new pushrods anyway?

third question - will somebody please tell me not to be a dumbass and do what's right here and not buy the hot cam lol... i mean i'm stuck on it because it sounds like its a smaller cam that isn't going to make my car run like a bag of ****, and its in my head that any time i try to take off at all with the bigger cam that its going to fall on its face and not do a damn thing, where i feel like with the small hot cam its going to basically drive like a stock car but with a better seat of the pants feel...

someone set me straight here please! i gotta order this stuff soon

Last edited by squeals99; 12-20-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

The parts you have and if you wanted to run SA I would definately with that cam. Its not that big of a cam and many people have ran that cam. Damn my wife has that cam in her car for 2 years and no problems at all with SA rockers. You will be fine as stealth says. It really depends if you have the money to the bigger mods if not then what you can get or already will suffice.

Dont buy the hotcam stick to the CC503, its a great cam and my wife loves the 503 over the lt4 hotcam.

Depending on your funds, I would just go with a cloyes timing chain which you can purchase at a autozone for under $30
keep the 503 cam $230
comp cams pushrods you can find in summit/jegs for under $40 they wont be the best but are definately better than stock ones at 170k miles.
ls7 lifters for $130
Bullet VS 2700 springs for $130 re-use your old hardware
gm or even autozone valve stem seals >$25
1.6 roller rockers SA <$200 or check the for sale ads?

Which will cost under $700 for everything, unless you can find parts used it will be better on ur end and.

Last edited by robsquikz28; 12-20-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here, let me give you the ultra cheapie "student budget" alternative:

Comp 503 cam $230
eBay Crane knock-off double spring kit (360lbs@600" lift) $79
Re-use your original hardened pushrods (but measure them for 7.2" length) Free
Don't bother with the converter if you have the older 700R trans. (it stalls at about 2400 anyway even though it's supposed to be 2000)
SA rockers. $170
Seals $30.
Lunati Lifters $145

There. Ha Ha! Beat everybody @ $654.

Last edited by Speedy; 12-20-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well some of that stuff won't be necessary too... cuz this motor i'm putting it all in only has 27k original miles... but you don't think that it will be a rough daily driver car? i mean i can manage putting the car in neutral at stop lights, but i dont want it to be a total slug out of the hole because it falls on its face or anything like that...
i dont know... i guess just from seeing a bunch of people from around here way overcam their cars it makes me nervous that i will be in the same group....

but ya the tranny in it is the 4l60e...
Old 12-20-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squeals99
well some of that stuff won't be necessary too... cuz this motor i'm putting it all in only has 27k original miles... but you don't think that it will be a rough daily driver car? i mean i can manage putting the car in neutral at stop lights, but i dont want it to be a total slug out of the hole because it falls on its face or anything like that...
i dont know... i guess just from seeing a bunch of people from around here way overcam their cars it makes me nervous that i will be in the same group....

but ya the tranny in it is the 4l60e...
Only 27K? You don't need lifters if they were replaced, and you likely won't need seals if they were done, you can even wait until later to upgrade to 1.6 rockers. BUT with the 4l60e you will need a converter ($212. for 3000 stall). Revising the above the price drops again: $521. Add $170 if you want have the rockers right away.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where am i getting a 3000 stall for $212? lol just curious....

and the motor has never been rebuilt with 27k miles on it.... the guy got it from a wrecked car basically and couldn't figure out a project that it could go with
Old 12-20-2009, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Dude, VS2700 springs $130
cc503 cam 100-250 depending on if you choose to regrind your stock cam which is what I did.

1.6 rr's $150 ebay.

$380 Bam!!! Plus gaskets and all that bs, but that's cheap.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squeals99
where am i getting a 3000 stall for $212? lol just curious....

and the motor has never been rebuilt with 27k miles on it.... the guy got it from a wrecked car basically and couldn't figure out a project that it could go with
No matter, only 27K it's going to be in good shape.

Here's where you get the torque converter
Old 12-20-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Speedy
No matter, only 27K it's going to be in good shape.

Here's where you get the torque converter

Thats a 2400 stall and it will cost $292 shipped not $200
Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
Thats a 2400 stall and it will cost $292 shipped not $200
He could go with 3000-3500 but it would take an extra $150.
No I didn't include shipping. I guess I cheated.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are those worth anything at all though?

i'm just worried i'm going to get into a big mess... and i mean i even have to drive this thing in the snow on occasion... like this is my true daily driver.... and i dont know what to do exactly
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so before i go doing this... because i have this in front of me now... after a 14 hour day in about a 40 degree garage with the only heat in a 100x60 garage being a small kerosene space heater!

what in the world do you think i should do here? the more i think about it the more i want to go big with the cc503 and still run the stock converter... but the other side of me is saying something more on the lines of cc502 or something like that... im gonna run the vs2700 springs and now i'm undecided on RR's... thinking of just cheaping out and getting the proforms because ive read a ton of mixed reviews with most people saying they are quiet and work great... but the cam is driving me nuts and i gotta get on this project to get the car back up and running

either way i go, for right now the best i'm gonna be able to do is run the stock converter... and its hard telling how long it will take me to get a different one, but probably wont be for a year or so... so someone guide me the right way here...

man i never really thought just picking a damn part for a motor would be so challenging, but this is one of the harder decisions i've made yet... i literally have spent 7 hours tonight on the computer just trying to research this on here and all sorts of other forums, but nothing is seeming like a clear winner yet
Old 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

run the 503 but you need a converter!!!! the 502 is a waste of a cam IMO

Quick Reply: Cam and supporting mods question!