LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Good Dyno Tune in Detroit Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Dyno Tune in Detroit Area

I really need to get my 94z tuned in this winter but I don't want to bring it to just anybody. Can any of you guys in the SE Michigan area recommend a good tuner that's experienced with the LT1's?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Steve at Vector Motorsports. Tell him Ryan sent you
Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

throw it on a trailer and bring it to Chicago, since you're near Detroit it's only a 5 hr ride.....made the trip plenty of times.....granted I was driving a truck.....in a car shouldn't take you more than 4-4.5 hrs....
Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Livernois Motorsports.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Sean at C.A.R.S in Waterford
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
Steve at Vector Motorsports. Tell him Ryan sent you
Agree 100%. He's a sponsor on my site and tuned both my car and my dad's car.

Originally Posted by FASHOOTER
Sean at C.A.R.S in Waterford
Heh... Heh... Brilliant guy when it comes to troubleshooting but I've heard mixed reviews on his tunes. And if you have his shop do anything, you have to make sure he's the one doing it or that they do it right. I had Sean as a sponsor on my site and had to take him down from the site because of some issues with customers' cars coming from him.

I personally only had an issue at Sean's place once - he had rebuilt my front suspension after I was in a front end accident and whoever put my front tires on never torqued them down. I was driving on I-75 heading to class when I had a really bad vibration and got off the freeway to find I had only one lug nut left on my driver's side and only two left on my passenger side tires. Sean did fix the issue, though, and replaced the studs as well as the lug nuts. They used an air tool on the keyed lug nut when it said not to and totally stripped it so I couldn't use the key again but at least I was able to drive home and not worry about my wheels falling off at 70mph on the freeway.

As for other people's stories, I have a friend, Will, who had Sean change his headers for him and I think do a normal tune up (plugs, wires, etc). A bunch of the wires were put across the valve covers and fried and one of the spark plugs' ceramic was cracked like it was dropped and then bolted back in. I think he had another issue too but I can't remember exactly what it was. It cost my buddy $1200-$1600 at Firestone having all the issues fixed. Giving Sean the benefit of the doubt, I do believe he offered to help Will with the repairs but frankly Will was kinda fed up by that point because he kept taking it to Sean and then it'd just sit at Sean's shop not being worked on for a few days while Will was out of a car. He dropped it off, picked it back up, dropped it off, picked it up... went through that a handful of times just to get the work done the first time so by the time he had all the issues with his car he just took it to Firestone instead.

Honestly, I think as long as it's Sean himself that does the work that you're OK but back when I had the issues with my tires almost falling off and when my friend Will had work done he had some other guys working at his shop and I question how much they really paid attention to what they were doing. I had people PM'ing about once a week telling me about issues they had with his shop and I ended up having to take him down as a sponsor and make a thread saying "at your own risk." I will say that I took my car to him 3 or 4 times and every time I was amazed at how much he knew about our cars and he definitely is a master at troubleshooting FBodies and I'm not trying to take that away from him or bash his work, though.

That said, though, he is a well respected tuner on many sites - especially on Motown Muscle.

Last edited by meissenation; 12-17-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Good Dyno Tune in Detroit Area