LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Evap/Purge and CPS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Evap/Purge and CPS Questions

so i got a couple unrelated questions.

first, on the passenger side of the intake manifold towards the back is the canister purge solenoid (is that what it's called?) used in the evap purge system. the canister purge has two ports. one port has a line running to the throttle body, the other port has a line running to the fuel tank. on the line running to the fuel tank, it runs into something else on the passenger side of the intake manifold towards the front of it (which has an electrical connection on it) then routes back together with the fuel lines to the fuel tank. what is that (valve? sensor?) part called where the line goes into before heading to the fuel tank? can you purchase it from like kragen/autozone etc? i know i can buy the two port canister purge, but i can't figure out what the other thing is called and where i can get a new one, if i can at all. i'll take a pic if no one knows what i'm talking about, haha.

second, installing a new crankshaft position sensor is simple right. just take off the bolt, pull out the sensor and bolt the new one in? there's no "relearning" that lt1's (i have a 96) have to do like the ls1's right? there's nothing special about putting in a new cps? thanks for the newb question help!! haha.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The round part on your EVAP system is a vacuum switch. It reports the EVAP vacuum activity to the PCM (OBD-II requirement). http://shbox.com/1/1996_evap.jpg
You should be able to buy a replacement just about anywhere.

The CPS is as easy to change as you describe. Nothing else to it.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome, thanks for the help with the partnumber!