LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Torque arm or coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Your is a totally different set up. Its not just the noise Im talking about. Its how the front of the TA mounts to the crossmember. It actually pivots back and forth under hard loads. For instance If you down shift hard it pulls back also pulling back the DS, and if you nail it the TA pivots forward and slams the DS into the Tail shaft of the trans wich also shocks the hell out of the ring and pinion.
I think a full length relocated TA is the best way to go on a M6.

Oh okay I see what you mean. Now that you mention that, a buddy of mine had a BMR one and it was like that, and I remember it still made noise after adjusting it. So basically, even if you adjust it, it still freely moves/pivots front and back. That's gotta be frustrating
Old 12-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

IMO The Tunnel mount TAs cause way more shock to the driveline then a full length reloacated TA.
There are sub 9 second LSx cars using tunnel mount TA's with no issues. I don't know off hand if one is more violent than the other. I am fully confident the tunnel mount achieves its intended purpose.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1badzee
You can run any stock length torque arm (adjustable or not). You can even re-use the stock torque arm (not recommended).
I realize you can, but is it worth spending the extra $40 to get an adjustable TA if you're going to run the tranny mount relocation bracket which already allows you to adjust your pinion angle?
Old 12-26-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Valkyn
I realize you can, but is it worth spending the extra $40 to get an adjustable TA if you're going to run the tranny mount relocation bracket which already allows you to adjust your pinion angle?
The relocation (cross member) doesn't allow you to adjust pinion angle..
Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
There are sub 9 second LSx cars using tunnel mount TA's with no issues. I don't know off hand if one is more violent than the other. I am fully confident the tunnel mount achieves its intended purpose.
It worked fine at the track, just not on the street. Like I said when you downshift the force causes the rear end to pull back, wich also causes the TA and DS to pull back do to the pivot style front mount. Once you nail it the rear shoots forward with the DS and TA, wich slams the DS into the tail shaft.

Valkyn, The relocation bracket allows adustment of instant center not Pinion angle.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Village Troll

It worked fine at the track, just not on the street. Like I said when you downshift the force causes the rear end to pull back, wich also causes the TA and DS to pull back do to the pivot style front mount. Once you nail it the rear shoots forward with the DS and TA, wich slams the DS into the tail shaft.
I've never heard of such a thing. Because of the way the suspension is configured the T/A is not moving forward or backward. If your DS is 'slamming' into your tail shaft you have bigger problems like too long of a DS. There should be ample space fore and aft of the slide yoke for suspension travel. The rod ends at the front of the T/A allow it to travel up/down with suspension travel. I have a Spohn tunnel mount on my car and let me assure you there is absolutely no play front to back with this T/A. If it were traveling front/back then it would also compromise the pinion angle, which it is not.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

brian I ran a m6 for a long time......and it ran alot faster with stock long block than you do now, but thats besides the point. I know alot more than you do and I say get the shocks first.....thats the bottom line, I am smarter than you so my point is more valid than yours.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by mdacton
brian I ran a m6 for a long time......and it ran alot faster with stock long block than you do now, but thats besides the point. I know alot more than you do and I say get the shocks first.....thats the bottom line, I am smarter than you so my point is more valid than yours.
You sound like Overton's brother with that jibberish. Hacked out turds that weigh 2000lbs and run a one hit wonder pass on a 200 shot don't count. I was running faster times before you figured out how to pleasure yourself.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Here we go..
Old 12-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Village Troll

Nah. mdacton knows he got nothing therefore lamely trying to divert the subject with some weak superiority complex.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

so the question is, is AI or LE better?

LOL
Old 12-26-2009, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

I had a stock rear and DS when I had the tunnel mount TA, also had a LS1 DS and it was the same so they were not the issue. All it needs is a 1/8 inch play to do what im trying to describe.
I cant be sure thats what was going on, but it was loud and brutal on the trans and the rear end. Switched back to a full length TA and ALL the problems and noises went away.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

i have a tunnel mounted TA. After reading all the hate stories last year about them i still decided to buy one. I have had it on the car since summer. I love it. I dont understand why people complain about it. Its not noisy, it doesnt bang, no vibrations. The only little thump sound i get is when im right at lockup speed coasting. But my car did that with the stock TA also.

so i dont get why people hate on it so much. Install error maybe?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

You have an auto, so I cant compair my car to yours. Im just telling you all what happened to me and what fixed it.

BTW my car actually 60fts better with the full length TA, with the rest of the mods being the same. Both work better than the stock TA though. Problem I had with the tunnel mount at the track was it was a very fine line between bogging and spinning. The full length seem alot more consistant.
Again these are just my experiences of having both on the same car with the same mods.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

All this talk is making me want to switch over to a full length TA and relocation.. Too bad its like $450 (with UMIs sale) lol. Oh well.. My tunnel mount is treating me alright. Just needs some more tweaking..
Old 12-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Village Troll

All it needs is a 1/8 inch play to do what im trying to describe.
Something was wrong with your setup. I have absolutely no forward/backward play.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even the stock torque arm has front to rear movement at the transmission. If you don't have it the rear suspension will be in a bind.

The relocation bracket allows adustment of instant center not Pinion angle.
I guess that you are talking about the BMR torque arm relocation? If that is the case, moving the arm up or down at the front mount adjusts pinion angle. To adjust IC on a torque arm car you have to change the torque arm length or rear control arm angle.

I have been 1.41 on the stock torque arm with a home made crossmember. IMO the best place to tie-in any torque arm is the subrame connectors.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just bought a tunnel mount with 3pt sfc's. I will chunk my opinion in here eventually.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
so i dont get why people hate on it so much. Install error maybe?
Try loading your car onto a Trailer and ripping that thing right off the bottom of the Car..then you will hate it..lol
Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Even the stock torque arm has front to rear movement at the transmission. If you don't have it the rear suspension will be in a bind.

I guess that you are talking about the BMR torque arm relocation? If that is the case, moving the arm up or down at the front mount adjusts pinion angle. To adjust IC on a torque arm car you have to change the torque arm length or rear control arm angle.

I have been 1.41 on the stock torque arm with a home made crossmember. IMO the best place to tie-in any torque arm is the subrame connectors.
I agree they all have some movement. Its impossible for them not to.
Just seemed no Matter what I tried the tunnel mount TA was just bad on the street and didnt work any better at the track for me.
I also thought moving the front of the TA would change PA, but was told other wise. I think it was BMR rep that told me that.

oh. I had the the UMI Tunnel Mount TA, and Now the UMI TA relocation kit and UMI full length TA. Pissed me off I spent a **** load on it just to hate is and sell it a couple months down the road.
Keep in mind my car was a DD at the time and a good ride was super important.

Quick Reply: Torque arm or coilovers?